need a new mid level baitcaster

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looking for a new baitcaster for my all around setup. it will run 50lb braid for bass in heavy cover. pickup the odd musky every now and then. any recommendations?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
looking for a new baitcaster for my all around setup. it will run 50lb braid for bass in heavy cover. pickup the odd musky every now and then. any recommendations?
What is your price range?

FWIW: I use #65 braid (#100+ breaking strength) on offshore tackle for tuna, marlin and Wahoo. Can’t imagine using that line class to catch a LM bass.

My “light tackle” rigs are loaded with #12 braid and #30 mono leaders. Lots and lots of (Striped) “bass” in the #25-30 range

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
price is dependant on what it is. would like to be >200 bucks if I can.

50 lb powerpro is the go to for fishing the matts around here. 40 works fine, but the difference is negligible and the 50 holds up better to the toothy critters. I run the same 50 on my musky setup but I add an 80lb fluorocarbon leader.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

FWIW: I use #65 braid (#100+ breaking strength) on offshore tackle for tuna, marlin and Wahoo. Can’t imagine using that line class to catch a LM bass.

My “light tackle” rigs are loaded with #12 braid and #30 mono leaders. Lots and lots of (Striped) “bass” in the #25-30 range

You're fishing in open water. Big difference.

Largemouth bass love mats, grass, etc.

Punching through that stuff requires a heavy sinker and strong line in order to winch the fish out of the mess.

Like in these videos.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You're fishing in open water. Big difference.
Most of inshore fishing is done in or over some type of structure. Lots of rock piles, oyster beds, wrecks, and barnacle encrusted bridge pilings to content with.

The biggest difference I see is the need for line capacity once you "coax" them off the structure. I size the line to the reel's drag capacity (~125% or less) to maximize capacity.

Just don't see how using a line much heavier (3X) than the reel's drag can handle makes sense.

I can see using heavier tackle in a tournament situation. I have spreads for both tournament and fun fishing. Its a lot more fun fishing the lighter tackle on a daily basis.

It's been a long time since I took a knife to a gun fight, but it happens...lol

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Yeahhh...

Most of inshore fishing is done in or over some type of structure. Lots of rock piles, oyster beds, wrecks, and barnacle encrusted bridge pilings to content with.

The biggest difference I see is the need for line capacity once you "coax" them off the structure. I size the line to the reel's drag capacity (~125% or less) to maximize capacity.

Just don't see how using a line much heavier (3X) than the reel's drag can handle makes sense.

I can see using heavier tackle in a tournament situation. I have spreads for both tournament and fun fishing. Its a lot more fun fishing the lighter tackle on a daily basis.

It's been a long time since I took a knife to a gun fight, but it happens...lol

Knives? Gunfights? WTH do they have to do with this thread? I mean really. :rolleyes:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Knives? Gunfights? WTH do they have to do with this thread? I mean really. :rolleyes:
Taking a knife to a gun fight is a very popular idiom for being under equipped for a given situation.

In this case, I’m using it relative to my tackle selection choices.

No idea what you thought it meant. Sorry if I somehow offended you

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Taking a knife to a gun fight is a very popular idiom for being under equipped for a given situation.

In this case, I’m using it relative to my tackle selection choices.

No idea what you thought it meant. Sorry if I somehow offended you

I get it. Most will.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
its all good guys, to each their own. anyone have any feedback on a model baitcaster they may be happy with or regret buying?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
its all good guys, to each their own. anyone have any feedback on a model baitcaster they may be happy with or regret buying?
What is your criteria for this reel?

What are your must haves and don’t likes about a reel?

Lots of good quality reels on the market these days. Most with little to no brand recognition by the big box crowd but very popular with those that follow the industry.

For instance, Akios is a group of Enginners from Abu Garcia. Simplistic, well thought out designs, outstanding casting capabilities with a number of performance upgrades available through the OEM

Another great reel manufacturer is Omato. Never heard of them? They build or have built some of the most popular name brand reels in the world for years.

An outsource house for many years. Decided to offer their own brand of reels as well.

Familiar configurations ;) Excellent quality. One of the best values going.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
will be the jack of all trades setup though most of the time it will be tossing swimbaits, spinner baits and crank baits. mid range gear ratio (6.2:1 maybe) decent brake system and a smooth drag. its replacing an abu garcia that serverd me will for may years. no particular loyalty, just looking for real world feedback.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
honestly digging the Pro Qualifier 2 that bass pro has branded for the price but with covid I wont be able to get one in store, would have to ship it and hope for the best

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
mid range gear ratio (6.2:1 maybe) decent brake system and a smooth drag. its replacing an abu garcia that served me will for may years. no particular loyalty, just looking for real world feedback.
All of my (competitive) casting reels are Abu Ambassaduers thus my fascination with Akios reels.

The Ambassaduer International line (Made In Sweden) is not to be confused with the Abu Garcia products marketed by Pure Fishing and its successors in this country. I sourced my pair of 6500 Chrome Rockets and a Mag Elite from Australia.

Every once and a while you see some of the more popular Ambassaduers pop up in their US product offering. The Ambassduer Blue Yonder is one of these reels.

The only concern I would have with the Pro Qualifier is the weak drag system (#10), lack of magnetic cast control, a rather slow retrieval rate (28") and the long term availability of parts. Then again its $99....hard to go wrong given the price.

Since you like the low profile reels, you may want to look at the the Abu Garcia Revo line up as well. A lot of local guys swear by them.