mooching/downrigging reels

82rude

Rear Admiral
Greatlakes fisherman here.I lived a sheltered life apparently..On a trip out to the westcoast I discovered mooching/downrigging reels and fell in love with them.When I take a guest out with me they get the levelwinds and I use my fav which is a diawa m-one combo .Love it !Anybody else use them as their main reel for fish?I use it for lakers,rainbow,king salmon,coho.
Image result for Daiwa M ONE

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks, Rude. You got me Googling my 4th away but it was interesting. :D

What rod do you use?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Its a matching diawa.I caught a 35 lb king with that rig out off the west coast.I called it the silver bullet.Big fight with lots of line peeling.I bought the combo in Victoria B.C..I looked at the rod and it says its a wilderness Its 8 years old now .If I was to buy another rod it would most likely be a Ugly Stik .I have either a ultra light or lite for pike,bass,and walleye which I love.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I could never figure out the mooching/downrigging rod and reel thing.

I’m thinking glorified fly rod and reel. Fun to a point, but not the most efficient tackle when push comes to shove.

What is the advantage over something like a small spinner (3xxx) or conventional reel on 6’-6”, #12-20, fast action, mag taper blank?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Its differnt .Until 2012 I had never used one ever.For me at least it is a simple design that is easy to use and master .I only use it for downrigging and prefer it over my other levelwinds or spinners now. Everybody has their personal preference mine just happens to be that design for that particular application.I would never dream of using a spinner like you described to fish for a laker 80 feet down on lake superior while trolling.The rod is a 9 footer and I have around 400 yards of 20 lb triline on it .

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Everybody has their personal preference mine just happens to be that design for that particular application.I would never dream of using a spinner like you described to fish for a laker 80 feet down on lake superior while trolling.The rod is a 9 footer and I have around 400 yards of 20 lb triline on it .
Interesting....what is it about the design you like over a Conventional or Spinner? Gearing? Retrieval speed? Drag?

Just trying to learn something new.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Just to be sure were on the same page dingbat let me stress I would never use that combo for anything other than down rigger fishing for salmon or lakers down deep.On the west coast they were also popular for halibut which can get pretty porky.The gear ratio is 1 to 1. I was wrong earlier, I have 17 lb mono at 660 yards .Why I like it im not 100percent sure,it feels right ,is powerful,good drag .It just seems right.For normal fishing like bass or pike I love my 6 foot 6 ugly stix light and Pflueger President special edition reel.One of the smoothest reels ive ever owned.So far this year my luck sucks but I never say die,lol.P.S. I couldn't flyfish if my life depended on it What do you guys use on the east coast?Big penns?I would assume atlantic ocean fishing is far different than freshwater great lakes fishing.Last time I dipped my toes in the Atlantic was around 1970 even though I was born in Halifax N.S.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What do you guys use on the east coast?Big penns?I would assume atlantic ocean fishing is far different than freshwater great lakes fishing.Last time I dipped my toes in the Atlantic was around 1970 even though I was born in Halifax N.S.
The trend over the past 10 to 15 years is to go smaller and lighter.

Generally speaking, Fresh water guys tend to fish a whole lot heavier than their saltwater brothern.

The advent of braided lines opened the way for smaller framed, high performance, high capacity reels. Lots of Avet, Seigler, AKios, ZeeBaaS and Stella fams.

Combine one of these reels with pthe new generation of light weight, composite blanks and you have a lot of fire power in a small, light weight package. If worst comes to worst, your in a boat.....you can always chase.

Inshore I’m fishing modified Penn 320 filled with 300+ yards of #65 braided line on 6’, #20, Progressive action rods. Can whip pretty much anything you run into.

I bump up to Penn 330 filled with #80 braided on #30 Progressive action blanks during Spring Trophy season

Fishing #50 tackle is pretty much the standard offshore unless chasing giant Bluefins.

Lots of Penn, Shimano, and Accurate guys.

Schoolie tuna action has been off the hook for the past 3 weeks.

82rude

Rear Admiral
When you say penn 330 are you talking about the penn 330 gti?Ive had a gti for ages and actually had it in play yesterday alongside the diawa .I use it with a eagleclaw 9 foot downrigging rod .I currently have only one elect scotty downrigger and a manual of the same brand.My much younger fishing buddy gets to use the manual rigger and the penn 330.I believe ive had the 330 gti since 1990 or so which I bought to replace a stolen 320.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
When you say penn 330 are you talking about the penn 330 gti?Ive had a gti for ages and actually had it in play yesterday alongside the diawa .I use it with a eagleclaw 9 foot downrigging rod .I currently have only one elect scotty downrigger and a manual of the same brand.My much younger fishing buddy gets to use the manual rigger and the penn 330.I believe ive had the 330 gti since 1990 or so which I bought to replace a stolen 320.
Yes, Penn 3x0 GTI. Modified the drag stacks to get a bit more drag out of them.

The 320 has a bit more drag but not the line capacity. Only use them inshore. Level winds don’t hold up well with speed and pressure thus the prevalence of conventional reels

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Up here i see lots of penn pursuits in the stores .OK?

Not a fan of Penn "graphite" bodied reels. The reel stems flex while cranking. Had one snap off in my hand.

I have an old Spinfisher and a couple of Slammers. All three are full metal reels.

The Shimano Stradic and Shimano Sustain are popular reels down here as well.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Took a chance and bought a onebass fishing reel off of amazon.Its a 14 bearing levelwind reel.Holds 300 yrds of 20lb test mono .Paired it with a shimano tdr rod .Smooth ,nice reel.
51GHo0sCZ9L._SY300_QL70_.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Took a chance and bought a onebass fishing reel off of amazon.Its a 14 bearing levelwind reel.Holds 300 yrds of 20lb test mono .Paired it with a shimano tdr rod .Smooth ,nice reel.
Interesting....see a bunch of Shimano buzz words in the advert. Couple of the parts look familiar as well.

My only concern with third party reels is parts support. Heck, even some of the major brands have support issues anymore.

Good luck. Lets us know hold it holds up.

Be sure to keep those 14 bearings oiled....where ever they are.....lol

82rude

Rear Admiral
Correction.14 plus one,lol.It seems like a well built very smooth reel.There are 2 bigger versions also .Beside my gt330 it looks small but 300yrds of 20lb test is plenty for the great lakes fish.Cant wait to tangle with some king salmon or maybe a very large lake trout.This week has been high winds and big waves so im on hold as no fish is worth my life or my back taking a pounding.

MRS

Commander
That's a nice looking reel there let us know how it works out for you.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Its a matching diawa.I caught a 35 lb king with that rig out off the west coast.I called it the silver bullet.Big fight with lots of line peeling.I bought the combo in Victoria B.C..I looked at the rod and it says its a wilderness Its 8 years old now .If I was to buy another rod it would most likely be a Ugly Stik .I have either a ultra light or lite for pike,bass,and walleye which I love.

I don't know about an ultra-lite for those species. In fact I can't use an ultra-lite for Jumbo Perch here on Erie with 10" to 12" as an average. We live right on the shoreline and have used an ultra-lite rod and reel for fun but 9 out of 10 times after fighting the fish usually Smallies, they can't be revived and I don't like to kill fish. It was also in Victoria on a trip to visit a pal from Hamilton I was introduced to Mooching reels. I also bought a Daiwa which was the exact reel I used on a few Salmon trips while there. I don't know the model number, it is 1 of the 50 some odd reels I own. I know a few, a very few guys that have them here in Ontario. Those guys are serious fishermen. They never have caught on here. Don't quote me on that because because I don't get out much these days. 82rude you might know better than I. I have used it on down rigging rods here on Erie hunting for massive Walleye. ( I better supply a foto but I can't remember how, I'll try latter) I do see a few for sale at my local well stocked Mom and Pop Bait and Tackle shop. Bill's Bait om Upper James St. Hamilton Ontario. Support your local business'.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I could never figure out the mooching/downrigging rod and reel thing.

I’m thinking glorified fly rod and reel. Fun to a point, but not the most efficient tackle when push comes to shove.

What is the advantage over something like a small spinner (3xxx) or conventional reel on 6’-6”, #12-20, fast action, mag taper blank?

The major difference is using the proper reel for the job is when you have a personal best 12 pound Walleye or a 50" Musky on the end of your line you are confident that the reel isn't going to jamb, skip and rip gears, all sorts of things that will lose those fish including catching fire. The proper tool for the job. I can't see where you are coming from when you say "not the most efficient tackle when push comes to shove." I couldn't disagree more. We aren't fishing for Blue Gills up here on the Great Lakes in Canada.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The major difference is using the proper reel for the job is when you have a personal best 12 pound Walleye or a 50" Musky on the end of your line you are confident that the reel isn't going to jamb, skip and rip gears, all sorts of things that will lose those fish including catching fire. The proper tool for the job. I can't see where you are coming from when you say "not the most efficient tackle when push comes to shove." I couldn't disagree more. We aren't fishing for Blue Gills up here on the Great Lakes in Canada.
Not sure of what your point is.

My “not the most efficient” comment was related to the use of long rods and center arbor reels.

A fishing rod is a third order lever......the shorter the rod (distance between fulcrum and load) the greater the leverage afforded to the fisherman. Add a direct drive reel (no gear reduction) and you have a very inefficient means of applying pressurIng.

Your point about having confidence in your reel is spot on. Learned long ago that you get what you pay for.