Self-Bailing Problem?? HELP....

ssface44

Recruit
I just purchased a 2010 Maritime 1480 Sport Skiff w/40HP Yamaha 4 Stroke in excellent condition (24hrs on it). I have never had a self-bailing cockpit before. I think I understand how it is supposed to work. When it rains the cockpit drains fine via the rear scupper drains both when moored or on my trailer. My problem is the the underfloor well area also fills up! I checked the rear cover to the well and it is watertight. I checked the cable hole under the console and it did not look like surface water entered there. I end up hand pumping the bilge area when moored and removing the drain plug when on my trailer. The plug does not leak. There is no water in the bilge when docked for several days without rain. Is my senior brain missing something very obvious?? I cannot find a Maritime owners manual. HELP! thx.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There shouldn't be any water in the bilge, at least not coming in from the cockpit

The idea behind a well designed self-bailing cockpit is that all the water drains overboard via cockpit drains and scuppers.

If your getting water in the bilge the first thing to check are the hoses to the cockpit drains. From there inspect the thru-hulls to make sure your don't have a cracked fitting allowing water to enter the hull.

Of course it's also possible that you have a poorly designed cockpit. Some boats claim a self bailing cockpits yet allow water to enter the bilge via unprotected hatch covers, etc.

ssface44

Recruit
I agree with everything you said. It all seems very simple. Thanks for helping with my sanity.

I have 2 stern cockpit drain/scuppers. There is one bilge channel access hole inside the center console floor that has a collar to prevent water access plus it is sheltered by the console. There is another access in the stern where the control cables come back up through the bilge channel en route to the outboard. That access hole is raised above the floor and has rubber boot around the cables to prevent water entry. The third access is a watertight plastic threaded see through twist cap approximately 4" diameter for inspection of the bilge (raised above the floor) and to use for a manual bilge pump if needed. I tested that with a hose and it is tight. I guess I need to water test the cable access boot and then create a fake rain storm and see if the center console access gets any water. My final test will probably be pouring water on all the seams where the cabin floor and side of the hull meet. That seam looks perfect all the way around..but you never know.
My apologies for the long note. I will let you know where this Sherlock Holmes exercise leads me. Thank you!

sam am I

Commander
Is or **does the outlet (Scupper Valve) sit below the waterline and are there hoses that lead from the outlet to the inlet (cockpit) fitting?

If so, check those hoses and fittings, rain might not present as much of a continuous pressure on a crack or loose fitting with outlet scupper that dip or sit below the waterline where lake/sea water is backing up internally in those hoses .

Been there done that............

**i.e.,does go under depending on conditions such as weight(fuel/cargo) and placement of weight (ppl sitting or standing at stern etc).........

Sidenote to also consider, if your running a live well(you never said, just guessing) that is leaking somehow, that'll tend to fill a bilge up in short order.

Last edited:

ssface44

Recruit
The scupper valve outlet is straight through the transom without hoses just above water line when moored. However, my bilge gets filled when it rains on my boat/trailer in the driveway and the scupper vales work correctly??

sam am I

Commander
The scupper valve outlet is straight through the transom without hoses just above water line when moored.

Okay, mine have hoses between the inner cockpit wall fitting (inlet) and the transom(scupper), dual hull I guess it is where the hoses run above the open bilge area, never mind, moot point.

Hmmm, so the through hull drain/scupper fittings go through a single wall/transom?

However, my bilge gets filled when it rains on my boat/trailer in the driveway and the scupper vales work correctly??

Probably then a different path then the scuppers (and fittings) since its a solid hull they feed through, those can only leak back and forth into the cockpit, not the bilge, right?

Last edited: