Why I suck as a fisherman.

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why I suck as a fisherman.

:D <br />I'm glad everyone took my post with a grain of salt.<br />Like others have said, a bad days fishing is better than a good day of working. <br />I appreciate the tips everyone has offered. Haven't tried the ol' shock treatment, but ya never know. <br />I got the lures I ordered today. Going to try them tommorow. If they don't produce I am going to try some ol' trusty crickets. <br /><br />The good news is I DID catch some fish. <br />Caught some nice perch at Wal-Mart, they came pre-fileted & ready to cook. Talk about easy fishing. Just point & WALLAH!! FISH!!! <br />Now that is truly a sad fisherman the day he has to go buy fish at the store.<br />Thanks everyone. May everyone have better luck than I :p

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good news everyone. I CAUGHT FISH :) <br />2 crappie & 18 gills. All caught in one spot on the lake. <br />I found out today a marker buoy is invaluable tool to have. I scouted the area, found a nice spot on the fish finder & dropped the buoy. Anchored away from the buoy & threw at it all day. <br />While I only left with 20, I probably caught about 40 fish, couple small perch, smaller gills & a few of what I guess where "shiners"?? Weird looking things...big minnows..<br />I used all 49 crickets (I always let the last survivor go for good karma) I even caught about 5-6 fish on the new lures I bought. Never caught a panfish on artificials....I liked it. <br />Anyways, I guess the moral of the story is whine about not catching them, and they will come ;) (just kidding)

Link

Rear Admiral

jtexas <br />We call them Dupont Spinners in this neck of the woods... Good story though<br /><br />SkunkedAgain <br />BTDT for all of the reasons listed and some not ;) but I'm not going to tell on myself! :) <br /><br />When they are "in the bite" you can catch them with anything.. I proved this to my fishing partner by catching Salmon, Trout, Bass, Crappie and many others with just a bare hook and no sent at all! <br /><br />Next day nothing worked! And like other have said just floating around and eating stuff you would never eat at home makes it worth it! Oreo Cookies dipped in black coffee for breakfast.. Hunting Oreo Cookies dipped in black coffee for Dinner... Fishing :D <br /><br />Had edit because I forgot to add CONGRADULATIONS! On landing a few!!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> The act of fishing is what its all about.<br /><br />Wetting a line with a couple of mates, talking BS, enjoying no ;) mobile phone reception and eating stuff you don't normally eat.<br /><br />Aldo
You got that right. It's all about being out there, with friends or, for me, with my kids. Actually catching something is just gravy on the biscuit.

gonefishie

Commander

Skunked Again> go to Wawassee lake, you know where that is don't you? stay off the bank, the perch action is pretty hot there. I see a lot of them being caught by bobber while fishing for small mouth in the middle of the lake near grass bed. As for artificial bait, I get perch, crappie a lot and sometime big blue gill on spinner bait.

woodrat

Ensign

Well, I started teaching myself salmon and steelhead fishing last year, after not fishing anything since I was about 18 (21 years). <br /><br />So last summer, after getting the old 68 whaler away from my dad, I start reading the magazines and finding a few spots and trying to learn the game. I got two steelhead and one jack chinnok in the cooler out of who knows how many hours of fishing. 3-4 days a week sometimes if I could get away with it, for 3-4 months. At the end of the season last year I had probably hooked and lost at least fifteen salmon. Bent hooks, leaders and knots breaking and coming untied, fish pulling the line through the prop, you name it. I was becoming quite the legend amongst family and friends. People thought I'd gone crazy to throw my time away at such and obvious fruitless enterprise. <br /><br />My brother and I went out on the puget sound a few times in the winter in the 13' boston whaler, and got totally skunked every time, not too mention pretty dang cold and wet to boot. More snickers and sly comments from the peanut gallery...<br /><br />Comes spring salmon and I spend three months fishing as often as I can, and again, I manage to hook and lose another 11 chinook. Breaking leaders and knots still, but my hooks are holding pretty good, having upgraded to gamakatsus. But one of them managed to unscrew the hook eyelet from the flatfish plug! (suddenly I remembered an old man at the boat ramp last summer telling me to super glue the eyelets into my plugs! Of course, that seemed like such unlikely advice at the time.)<br /><br />Anyway, my family is starting to think I've gone off the deep end, especially after I go out and buy a bigger boat. <br /><br />Then on the last day of spring chinook season in my part of the river I finally get the drag set right and realize how to use it and I manage to bring a nice fat 30" or so spring chinook into the net! what a rush! (of course, it was a native, and had to go back in the river...) Then my brother and I head out to lake washington for sockeye in the new boat with the downriggers, and both get our limit plus I bagged a nice 16" rainbow to boot. Then we go to back to the steelhead thing and in one day I actually caught and kept two nice steelhead! <br /><br />The tide is turning! After all that time coming home empty handed, all that time is finally starting to pay off. Now I went out tonite for a couple of hours and got skunked again, but ....

JGShooter

Cadet

Remeber that any day fishing is better than a day at work.

LubeDude

Admiral

Man, as a new member, you are really digging to repost a four year old Thread!!