Why I suck as a fisherman.

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know if it's just me, but I've had a crappy year at fishing. I've only brought home fish one time this year & I'm talking since starting in April/May. <br />I mainly fish for crappie/bluegill and I'm having no luck even catching these, the most catchable of catchables. <br />I fish the normal areas: off weed beds, on breaks, standing timber,etc. My setup involves ultralite equipment,6lb line, slip-bobber, hook or jig & livebait(redworms,waxworms for gills, minnows for crappie). <br />I usually don't use artificials, but today I ordered some beetle-spin replicas called a Fish-N-Spin. I thought it was worth a shot so I am going to try this route next trip. <br />I also have a cheapo($99) Hummingbird fish finder. <br /><br />Now I usually don't get skunked, but never can keep on the fish, 1 here, 1 there. I just never catch enough to take home & end up releasing what I have.<br />I've read all the articles online & am doing what they are telling me to do. I've also tried the same techniques on several (7-8) area lakes without any luck. <br /><br />And that, is why I suck as a fisherman :p

merc200

Seaman
Re: Why I suck as a fisherman.

Don't know what the weather has been like there in Indiana this year, but our spring was real rainy and unseasonably cold. Crappie and Bluegill fishing wasn't worth a crap here in Iowa this spring either. Nine times out of ten I caught a small bass in the same crappie/bluegill hot spots of previous years. Catfishin's still good though! :)

crab bait

Captain

you've gotta get your confidence up..<br /><br />try gettin' back to sq.one basics.. <br /><br />hook ,bobber, an good ole' wonder bread.. <br />or velvetta cheese mushed in.. <br /><br />try a 'fly rod ' popper.. add shot if weight is needed to cast.. <br /><br />or go to church once-in-a-while.. :) ..<br /><br />good luck...

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

if you wanna change your results, change your meathods.<br />try a bait/lure/presentation they haven't seen before.

gonfishn

Commander

And I thought it was only me that was jinxed..Blame on it the weather even your better half but never blame it on yourself..You can have the best rigs in the world and if the fin is being tempermental it doesn't matter.<br /><br />Weather has been strange this year..Places I normally call my milk runs have come up nil..Throw everything you got and then some some..<br /><br />You know they are there..just wiggle that tail a little more..

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Is there a local fishing message board in your area?<br /><br />Whenever I get in a slump, I look for another way to catch fish, just to get my confidence up. Couldn't buy a large-mouth bass last spring, so this summer I been catching schooling white bass; it's a blast. If you feel like driving, come on down; we'll catch some fish.<br /><br />If nothing else, try some of thisfish attractant. Some of the members on my local fishing forum tested the grape flavor; they had to throw it away because the bluegills wouldn't leave their bass lures alone! Said it was like a machine gun tap-tap-tap-tap on their plastic worms. One guy used it to catch perch to use for striper bait - he said he just put it on a bare hook and caught fish! Sounds like a gimmick but based on the forum reports I ordered some anyway; it hasn't arrived yet - I'll let you know if it works for me. <br /><br />good luck,<br />jtw

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think by this time of year, starting fishing a bit deeper in the weeds. Find some fish cribs, or drastically change how you are fishing. <br />Or what I did when I couldn't catch fish this year....buy an Aqua Vu!!!<br />D

SoulWinner

Commander

Hey, at least you're out there. Between working and rain I haven't been fishing in months.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I love fishing but for me the 'catching' part is a bonus. The act of fishing is what its all about.<br /><br />Wetting a line with a couple of mates, talking BS, enjoying no ;) mobile phone reception and eating stuff you don't normally eat.<br /><br />When a fish comes along its a bonus to a (hopefully) already brilliant day.<br /><br />Maybe its just me.<br /><br />Aldo

crab bait

Captain

you said it all, DUN.. <br /><br />an yeah,, can eat some goofy stuff out there.. like last summer,, apple slices & crab dip.. <br /><br />a five star restuarant couldn't top it..!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

This time of year start slow drifting deep water for suspended fish. If Gill/Crappie size and #'s are in the lakes you're fishing try getting out and away from the obvious 'preasure points'. Mid-lake basins and deeper flats areas depending on the water system will have fish holding in them. Another thing, the fly-fishermans montra -.. Match the hatch! This is also a rule of thumb for this time of year when dealing with panfish. You don't have to be a botanistit! Just match up as close as you can to the feed that the fish are on. Beetle spins and faster presentations like mini cranks and in-line spinners have their time and place but, for the most part micro jigs tipped with up to three spikes with a slow presentation will be the ticket. <br /> Another thing is keep moving! 2 here, 3 there, 1 here, 4 over there = 10 that are in your fry pan. Keep moving if they're not stacked up like a wood pile.<br /><br />hope this helps

rwise

Captain

and remember, a bad day fishing is beter than a good day working!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

A sea anchor made the difference between bad and good fishing for me.It allows you to drift nice and slow over the 20+ foot water where the panfish like to hang out this time of year.If that does not work, try drop shotting with 2 or 3 hooks about a foot apart from each other straight on the main line with a palomar knot. Panfish love a type of jig called mini mite,tipped with a spike(maggot).The greenish ones are killers.<br />Good luck.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I know how you feel. Three days before I go to the river 4,500 Red Salmon go through the counter. I finally get off work and go fishing, 200 went through. <br />The next week. I don't go dipnetting, because the wife is working. There are two rivers that we go to. Two day count for Kasilof was Day 1, 36,000 Day 2, 92,000. Two day count for Kenai Day 1, 114,000 Day 2, 138,000.<br />The days I do get to go<br />Kasilof 4,400 Kenai 7,700<br />Day after I leave<br />Kasilof 16,600 Kenai 30,000<br />ARRRGGHHHH!!!<br />We only got 4 fish. It would have been cheaper for me to buy them at the store.<br /><br /><br />But I wouldn't have gotten to wake up in a tent on the beach then.<br /> :) :) <br /><br />AK Chappy

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

AK, not familiar with the term "dipnetting." Also, what is the "counter?" Is it like one of those gates you go through to get on a ride at six flags, only for fish?<br /><br />If anybody tells the wife I said this I'll deny it, but...<br /><br />...fishing is really just something to occupy my hands while spending a day on the water! :) <br /><br />Also, the toys are pretty cool, too.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

A DipNet defined.<br />Maximum opening between any two points is 5 feet, the attached net must extend at least half of the widest opening. i.e. if you go to 5 ft, your net must extend at least 2.5 ft behind it. It cannot be tight. Your chosen setup must be attached to rigid pole.<br /> We use gillnets, the same type as the commercial fisherman, only smaller.<br /> What you do is you wade out and push your hoop, square, octagan (whatever shape it is) with the net attached out into the water and wait until a fish gets stuck in the net.<br /> The limit is 25 fish for the head of household and 10 fish per family member on top of that. It is used for AK residents only and is for "subsistence". I have two teenage boys and one almost teenage boy. I need to save as much on food bills as I can.<br /><br />The counter, is exactly that. They have a sonar beam that counts how many fish have entered the river. It uses size to determine what type of fish it is.<br /><br />AK Chappy

aspeck

Staff member

Dear Skunked Again,<br /><br />I have always had good luck with 2 electric probs run off the battery. The fish will come up to the surface and lay there. Look for the ones you want to keep and dip them out with the landing net. The others will "wake up" in a few minutes and head back down to their structure! ;) ;) <br /><br />If that don't work, dynamite is a sure thing, but can't be as selective there.<br /><br />Have fun and enjoy the fish BBQ!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

aspeck, that reminds me of my old Uncle Wilbur, who lived in a shack out by Lake Bistineau. He always caught lots of fish and one day I finally talked him into taking me with him. I met him early one morning, we got in his old jonboat and moved a little ways out into the lake. I noticed he didn't have any fishing rods, and when I asked about it, he just smiled and held up a stick of dynamite. I said, "whoa, that's highly illegal, not to mention dangerous!" Uncle Wilbur struck a match, lit the fuse and handed the stick to me. "Now," he said, "you gonna talk, or you gonna fish?"<br /><br />Uncle Wilbur always caught fish, even when nobody else did and such a variety of species that stories got around and eventually aroused the suspicions of the local game warden. Determined to catch him red-handed, the warden would, from time to time, get up way before dawn and hide out in the trees down by Wilbur's shack, so he could follow him on his "fishing" trip. Every single time he did so, Wilbur opened his front door just as it was getting light, stepped out onto the porch and called out, "Warden, I know you're out there. Might as well come on in and get some coffee." So the warden would give it up, and come in to breakfast. I asked Uncle Wilbur "how did you know when the warden was hiding?"<br /> "I didn't. I been calling out like that every morning for the last 20 years!"

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Hand grennades are much more compact and do the same thing.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

jtexas, I've heard that one before, it a good one. As for the shock treatment, my second cousin got hold of a telephone crank box. He said them cats just came a floating to the top.