Ned Rig

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I am pretty excited about trying these out on smallmouth on lake Mille Lacs this summer. Great idea for bass on the rocks.

Les Young

Seaman
Until this past summer i had never thrown the ned rig & .It had been a very tough summer because of the corps of engineers having to run the sluice gates wide open on lake cumberland in ky. because of epic flooding last winter & in turn pulling all of the cold water from the bottom of the lake. Water temps were 88* at 35ft. last summer when they're normaly around 70* at 25 feet. I told my buddy that anybody doing very good had to be finesse fishing so decided that i was going to try it & went to the local tackle shop to pick up some ned rig gear to try that night.Yes i said at night after dark because around here you fish night time in summer. Anyway to make a long story short i caught them pretty good that night with several keeper smallmouth at 18" plus & a bunch of nights after with atleast 1 big smallmouth every trip. By big one i mean around 5Lb. I make my own soft plastics so needless to say i now have molds for ned rig lures, tiny craws & senkos too.lol I definitely like fishing the ned rig for sure.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I will also fish the Mississippi and Elk Rivers here in central Minnesota for smallies. I think it could be deadly on fish in the gulf as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting... Gulp hellgrammites are all the rage on the Susquehanna.

Still...nothing beats a real hellgrammite on a jig head for small mouth

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Interesting... Gulp hellgrammites are all the rage on the Susquehanna.

Still...nothing beats a real hellgrammite on a jig head for small mouth

For me real hellgramites are killer for trout while fishing streams. For smallmouth crickets are the killer bait I go to.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For me real hellgramites are killer for trout while fishing streams. For smallmouth crickets are the killer bait I go to.
Grew up with a trout stream (Brook and brown trout) in my back yard. A white mepps spinner tipped with a garden worm was the hot ticket.

Didn’t catch on to hellgrammites until we where old enough (13yrs) that the parents would drive us to and from the Potomac River for the day

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Mississippi in June you can throw any crank bait you want as long as it is a small perch crank bait, then July anything crawfish related. The Mississippi river from Clearwater to Elk River was a world class fishery until Mille Lacs exploded with the smallmouth. My secret weapon on the Mississippi a white buzz bait with a white blade.