Baitcasting to Spincasting

MRS

Commander
I think if you try for years to use a casting reel and can't, stick with the spinners that work and be happy. When I use the casting reels I set the drop from the spool to the weight of the lure that I am using lure almost free falls tiny bit of resistance
as the lure falls. Plus you got to use your wrist when casting not your whole body like I see a lot of people trying to do and most important must have thumb control on the spool at all times. Here are the reels I am fishing now one is 40 yr.s old the
other not sure but at least 30 yr.s just change drag washers every few years and lube up. Take a licking and keep on fishing
they look awful but work great for me any how.

Attachments

• photo323429.jpg
    photo323429.jpg
    700.4 KB · Views: 1

Old Ironmaker

Captain
MRS. Yep they sure are oldie reels. But I bet they work for you and that's all that counts. I like to "palm" the reel and those knucklebusters you have wouldn't feel right in my hand since I am use to smaller palmable (is that a word?) reels. But my Shimano Bantam is over 30 years old. It usually finds itself used as a trolling reel. If I use it to cast I need heavy hardware at the end of the line and can cast it all day without getting carbuncklements.

dingbat , you know your stuff. I understood some of it but it sure is far beyond Rod Making 101.

Johnny D/Selkirk ON. Canada

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sixty Five years ago (when I was a widdle kid) my Dad gave me an old Shakespeare bait caster mounted on a 4.5" steel rod. It was Grandpa's. I guess from the 1940's. It worked OK for me and I caught a lot of fish. It didn't take too long to figure out how to not tangle it.

Back then, my Mom used a newer Pflueger bait caster that my Dad bought her when I was still in short pants. She loved that reel, worked it like magic, and would never let anyone touch it but her.

In the 1960's my Uncle retired and he had no house or any interests at all, so he decided to go fishing. Until he passed, he literally went fishing every single day, rain, snow or shine. I went with him when I didn't have school (or later a girlfriend) and soon he bought me a closed face spinning reel, and then later an open face. When I got past being a teenager and got my first boat I took HIM along.

Four years ago, after my own retirement, and with a brand new Whaler fishing boat in tow, my wife bought me a newfangled bait caster for Christmas, along with a new 5 1/2' Ugly Stick. It was a Pflueger as well.

Now when I go fishing in the Niagara, I most often use the Pflueger. It's not hard to operate. But more than that, its just simply a lot of fun, and it brings me back to my humble roots.

Mom's, Dad's, Grandpa's and Father-in Law's old stuff now hold a prominent place on the wall of my boathouse. When I get too old to trail the boat anymore, maybe I'll just resurrect them and try them again on the shore.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Old Ironmaker;n10821200 [quote said:
dingbat , you know your stuff. I understood some of it but it sure is far beyond Rod Making 101.
I got into rod building out of necessity when I took up surf fishing in the 80’s.

At the time, there where not factory rods and the blank companies had just started getting into the surf market. My first surf rod was built on a blanked designed for sturgeon fishing.

I was very fortunate to have two very skilled veteran builders take the “new kid” under their wing and show me the tricks of the trade.

From there I expanded into inshore/offshore trolling rods (my second passion) and eventually into spinning, casting and light tackle jigging for inshore use.

Most, if not all the rods I build anymore are application, method or tackle (reel or lure) specific rods.

Customer specific builds only. Don’t make 25 rods of a given design in different colors and market them as “custom”. All signed.....

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Old Ironmaker;n10821200 I got into rod building out of necessity when I took up surf fishing in the 80’s. At the time said:
Excellent dingbat. I know some "custom" rod builders where I am in Ontario. Most are more works of art than fishable rods. I personally have never bought one of their "custom" rods. #1, I would be afraid of scratching one. #2 based on the price I would always be afraid to scratch one. I do know guys that have them and actually use them. One gent I know had to have one to go along with his $80,000.00 European luxury 4X4 he needed to get to the water with class. The thing is he is always getting someone else to drive to the water in their Silverado, Ram or F-150.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Excellent dingbat. I know some "custom" rod builders where I am in Ontario. Most are more works of art than fishable rods. I personally have never bought one of their "custom" rods. #1, I would be afraid of scratching one. #2 based on the price I would always be afraid to scratch one. I do know guys that have them and actually use them.
Most of the cost is in the blank and handle assembly. Unless you damage the blank, its far too easy to “refresh” a rod not to use it. Some of mine have been stripped and rewrapped more than once.

Restorations are my favorite projects. Restoring someone’s Dad or Grandpa’s rod back to new is both challenging and rewarding.

Currently restoring an early, split bamboo St. Croix spin cast rod for a neighbor. It was his dads.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Most of the cost is in the blank and handle assembly. Unless you damage the blank, its far too easy to “refresh” a rod not to use it. Some of mine have been stripped and rewrapped more than once.

Restorations are my favorite projects. Restoring someone’s Dad or Grandpa’s rod back to new is both challenging and rewarding.

Currently restoring an early, split bamboo St. Croix spin cast rod for a neighbor. It was his dads.

I collect antique rods and reels. Some I pick up at yard sale and flea markets some anywhere else I can find them. They made rods by the millions even 100 years ago. Many are not rare or expensive. I actually like them as they are, worn and with a story to tell. My price possessions are a few Halibut rods I got in Nova Scotia and a home made cane rod from the South Pacific my Uncle brought back after WW2.

Jachin

Seaman Apprentice
I think Mav6759 went home; the thread took off on a life of it's own, but reading through provokes me to add my 2c.
I believe MANY would be bait-caster-ers get whacked right out of the gate because they don't know anything about the centrifugal brakes, as stated by one, if need be, just put all the brakes on and back off as necessary. I also keep my thumb over the spool almost constantly, just not necessarily touching. I do believe braided line is easier to un-flumox than monofilament though if you do backlash (maybe just me), but I also have no issue casting a 3/8 - 1/2 oz rubber frog with my baitcaster - and with fair distance. I love my Lew Childers speed stick, Garcia 5600 and braided line in the pads. I also do not believe you have to spend major bucks to have a good time with a baitcaster. The reel is just equipment, the operator is the talent. As most tradesman will tell you, you blame the operator, not the equipment. Lance Armstrong could beat me on a Mongoose if I was on a Cervelo S3.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone,
Sorry I didn't get back on this post, but I got busy...a couple of things I wanted to mention. I'm throwing 3/8 to1/2oz lures, which are huge and heavy in my opinion. A 1/2oz. Rap or topwater won't fit in my regular boxes, I had to buy bigger boxes...Now maybe that's light for some of you besides throwing a 1oz bait which is very heavy....lol....When some of you spoke of rod and reel balance, that makes no sense to me, what does that even mean....how do you balance a rod and a reel. You buy a rod, you buy a reel, and go fishing...I guess I'm old school, we just bought reels and rods and went fishing...I think my problem is not so much of a balance, but I'm throwing heavier and bigger baits then what I'm use too. However, I do look at what's printed on the rods and reels to make sure they can handle up to a weight I'm throwing, but that's common sense... as far as my baitcasters are concerned, I dont use the most expensive ones. Been there done that... one time. That reel cost me close to 300.00 and it sitting in the bottom of the Potomac River along with a iphone I thought I could learn to uses well....I got so frustrated fishing one day, I throw the dog on thing in the middle of the river....I head 4 to 5 so called experts in using baitercasters to try to show me how to use it, I even paid a guy to teach me how, he was no good....Now I would admit, I'm not the brightest light bulb in the room, but I'm still glowing...why does this have to be so dog on complicated.
Now I've won a few bass tournaments throughout the years. But these baitcasters has cost me a few tournaments as well. I think I listening to these guys on TV to much....lol....the pro's,,, that's what they are...pro's.....I switch from sprinning reels to baitcaster because all my friends, fishing partners and the guys on TV, told me that is what I should do...instead of doing it for me..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
..I head 4 to 5 so called experts in using baitercasters to try to show me how to use it, I even paid a guy to teach me how, he was no good.
Some people can't be taught to walk and chew gum at the same time either...lol

I'm a rod builder and distance cast competitively for a number of years. Still get involved in friendly competitions now and then. Taught many people along the way.

Baitcasting is all about about feel and dexterity. I like to start people out with long (surf) rods. The longer rod exaggerates the rod's response and slows down the casting motion giving the angler better feedback on how a rod behaves during various stages of the cast.

A nice, slow steady motion is a must to prevent over runs. You don't need to "throw" the rod. Let the rod do the work as designed.

Where do you fish on the Potomac? Grew up on the river. Fished it extensively as a kid before the lure of saltwater got too great.

MRS

Commander
I think you should give up on the casting reels and stick to the spinning reels. If you cannot under stand the balance or match the rods to the reel and weight of your lures. I feel you are funning us here.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you need to use a beginner baitcaster for a bit with the brakes matched to the lure weight. as you get the hang of thumbing the spool you can reduce the brake. if you are going to give up on it I suggest going to spinning over spin casting.