Sportfishing vs. Meat fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatone123

Banned
In my lifetime Sportfishing has gone so downhill. I'm sorry, but I do not consider bottom feeders in general sportfish. What do you think?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I do not think "bottom feeders in genera"l are sportfish either

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The availability of species is highly cyclic. Species that where abundant in our waters 10 years ago have been replaced with other species.

Generally speaking, “Sport fishing” is alive and well in my circles. Just different than it was 10-15 years ago. You either adapt and purse available species or get skunked.

I assume your “bottom feeders” comment relates to catfish.

Pretty common to catch Blue catfish tossing lures or trolling. Doing battle with a #25 blue that grabbed a Jerk bait will make you forget about #5 lm bass very quickly.

Locally, a lot of LM bass anglers are now targeting snakeheads. Not because you can’t catch bass, but because snakeheads are LM bass on steroids.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Define sport fishing. It sounds to me like you have a snooty attitude. Fishing is fishing as long as you follow the regulations . If you want to fish a certain way , use certain equipment and fish for certain species that’s fine. You do your thing , me and others do ours. If I want to catch cat fish, carp or bluegills how does that affect “sport fishing” or affect you or anyone else? I guess I really don’t understand the point of your post.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The definitions of Sports Fishing may differ from one person to another. To me Sportsfishing is seeking out that personal best, trophy and always catch and careful release. Charters off shore or inland seas like our Great Lakes. Even smaller inland lakes that hold trophy Muskellunge for example. Cut Throat Trout and Kings in British Columbia or Blue Fin Tuna in the Eastern Maritime Provinces, Grailing in the Arctic. That's Sportsfishing and it ain't cheap. We meat hunt here on Lake Erie for Walleye, sometimes big and sometimes small like a 5 pounder. Yellow Perch, the limit here on Erie in Ontario is 50 per fisher person. I have to include my wife, she's good at it plus she can clean them.

I have no idea what you mean by bottom feeders and Sportsfishing going downhill. Carp and Cats I guess. There are folks here that will eat anything that comes out of the water here in Ontario, anything sometimes including mature fish. To each their own, we call them the white bucket brigade, if it's legal it's legal and I will stop it at that.

And dingbat yes I agree, hook onto a 25 pound Cat in my nearby river or a 30 pound Pit Bull like Carp and that big Largie or Smallie is like catching bait. And I am going to include it in my Sportsfishing definition because it's a challenge like in sports and it's fun as hell. I have eaten a 2 pound what we call a Yellow Mudcat from the Grand River here but only in spring. They sure are good fried in cornmeal. They want 15 bucks a pound in the grocery stores nearby.

Last edited:

MRS

Commander
Have you ever hooked a big flathead cat? I do not think so.

James Anderson

Recruit
Sport fishing and meat fishing represent very different philosophies that produce very different fishing methods. For instance when I tell people that I use lures/flies and live bait together. This astonishes them. Well, if you're thinking according to tournament rules, at least in bass fishing tournament they do not allow live bait. From my perspective you're fishing with one hand tied behind your back.
Meat fishermen target small to medium-sized fish. These fish are less toxic because they are younger and have not built up as many toxins. Trophy fish are full of toxins because they've lived so long. In most aboriginal cultures they don't eat big fish unless there's no other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.