Trolling setup advice/ideas wanted.

shawn.54

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So my son picked up a Spectrum 170 boat and we plan to do some fishing on local lakes but would also thinking of going to Erie for perch fishing in the fall and maybe a little near shore walleye trolling in spring and early summer. I plan to pull some boards that I made a couple of years ago. I myself have never been the captain on the boat on Erie I have always been with either a Charter Captain or my uncle’s boat. I have been on a charter several times where i acted t as first mate I handled the boat while captain would prepare rods and rigging then I would put out the lines. Not saying I’m a pro but that I’m not totally inexperienced.
This will be a couple trips a year not a every day gig so I want to keep costs down on my rigging was planning to use a mast to run the boards. If anyone has a small rig setup could you send me some pics as well as what you like and what you would change. Again I have a clean slate and have not started anything so I’m just trying to avoid mistakes.
I’m a machinist with access to equipment so I will most likely make as much of fittings as possible.

Attachments

• photo315593.png
    photo315593.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I dont have pics, however used my SeaRay and Avanti for trolling Lake Erie and Lake Michigan quite a few times. used a 10' 2x8 with some wing nuts and J-bolts to hold onto the rear cleats on the gunwales. the plethora of rod holders were mounted to the 2x8. when done with fishing, simply undid the wingnuts and pulled it from the boat. used the same rig for years on the Avanti, then the SeaRay, then gave it to a buddy to run on his pontoon boat when I got the last boat.