Bass opened Sat 12 AM here in Ontario

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Strange this year, in some areas in Ontario Bass were still on beds, some areas they were long gone. Here on the north shore of Lake Erie some Smallmouth were still nesting and where I am within a few miles they left the nests this past week. Water levels are the highest I have ever seen here on Erie in the last 23 years since we have owned our little shack by the sea. Where we were throwing horseshoes 10 years ago is under 4' of water. Lost 25' of sandy beach in yhe last few years. The scientists say the water levels will not drop for many years unless there is a massive drought. It would be nice for the kids to get some beach back. We are paying taxes on it. I don't think I will get a rebate from the county. No, I know I won't!!!

82rude

Rear Admiral
If you need more water feel free to ask ,we have tons in the real big lake.:joyous::joyous::joyous:.Bass is year round in the biggy ,only musky and walleye have closures,and of course sturgeon/

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Just watched a fishing show and they said in area 10,the bass season has been changed to year round.North of hyw 17 and west of serpent river I believe.Check fishing regs.Where I fish 5 to 8 lbs smallies are plentiful.Old, do you guys have sheepshead down there?I just discovered them in the st joes island area a few ago.Fun, blocky tanks ! Avg 5 to 7 lbs but apparently can hit 60lbs further south.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yep we have Sheepshead, here we call them Farm Animals. They can get big here on Erie. I measured one a few years back and it was almost 40". Ugly ass fish. The proper name is Freshwater Drum. I don't like them because they act like Walleye when on, like a boot that makes 4 or 5 downward moves then nothing, repeat. Then you see the silver and the thought of landing that 12 pound Pickereye is busted. The closest fish down south I think is the Redfish or Drum.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Like most homely fish they get a bad rap.They actually taste not bad.Another one that comes to mind is the burbot aka ling cod etc.Actually very tasty,known as the poor mans lobster.Due to back issues tomorrow will be my first day going to fish on whiefish bay .Hope the weather and waves cooperate.Where I live bass is open year round now as specified in my earlier post.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Like most homely fish they get a bad rap.They actually taste not bad.Another one that comes to mind is the burbot aka ling cod etc.Actually very tasty,known as the poor mans lobster.Due to back issues tomorrow will be my first day going to fish on whiefish bay .Hope the weather and waves cooperate.Where I live bass is open year round now as specified in my earlier post.

Friends of ours has a little Marina here on Erie. During a visit Lorna served up a bowl of fish chowder for each of us. Afterwards she asked how it was? "Fantastic Lorna" Good she said, it's sheepshead!!! And I haven't caught one since! I was once told if you order scallops in a restaurant in North Bay you are getting the loin of Ling. I haven't had it but hear it is great. But those things are scary ugly, we have hooked a few ice fishing on Nipissing. How did your back hold out. That's the main reason I'm not on the water this year. It sucks. We live on Erie and even in glass like conditions you are going to bang around until the boat gets on plane. One good wake and I'm in bed for 3 days, not worth the pain. Getting the boat docked and putting it on a trailer then driving home isn't doable once my back goes out. Did it once a few years ago but I was lucky to see a pal that trailered it for me. My 1st mate couldn't back up the trailer.

They sell those boat seats that bounce up and down cushioning the blow to the back. Charlie Wray flogs them on his show "Fishfull Thinking." 8 or 9 hundred bucks each if I can remember plus shipping and HST of course. I was going to look into jury rigging a hydraulic/spring seat from a Back Hoe or tractor trailer. There is a big rig bone yard close to me. Another project I need to start. Starting isn't the problem for me, finishing is.

Last edited: