Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Catfish Skinning pliers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catfish Skinning pliers

Ok my hands are getting older and sore so what are the best or better skinning pliers to use on tough old catfish?
    Thanks for any replies.

I have a pair of these and they work well. Haven't used them in a long time. Dang, I need to go fishing soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	catfish pliers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	10677696
    1976 Starcraft Kingfisher Frugal Functional Fix-up
    1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod
    Garage Project
    ------------
    There is a fine line between stoic... and DEAD.

Comment

Vicegrips
      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
        Vicegrips
        Thats is what I have been using but the slime gets in there and they will not grip.

Comment

Originally posted by BWR1953 View Post
          I have a pair of these and they work well. Haven't used them in a long time. Dang, I need to go fishing soon!

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":10677696**[/ATTACH]
          Yes you do! I think I will order a pair of those looks like you can just grab the skin without slime getting in the way like pliers do. My hands just do not work like they use to Thanks for the reply...

Comment

As I recall, dipping the catfish in boiling water for a few seconds helps removal.

Comment

Originally posted by poconojoe View Post
              As I recall, dipping the catfish in boiling water for a few seconds helps removal.
              Might be worth a try! I use what BWR showed in his post. Hang 'em on a nail;cut their barbs;cut the skin then pull.

Comment

Originally posted by MRS View Post

Thats is what I have been using but the slime gets in there and they will not grip.
                then buy new vicegrips where the teeth on the jaws are not worn

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

then buy new vicegrips where the teeth on the jaws are not worn
                  I am just questing you do not catch a lot of catfish the slime gets in the grooves of the pliers and will not hold the skin. But other than that you give alot of good advice.

Comment

The hot water thing sounds good but lots of times cleaning at the fish station there at the lake. Plus cannot nail the head to anything there. Have to hold in hand and skin so the BWR pliers seem like the way to go picked up a pair today will try them out on the next catfish Thanks and my hands will Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MRS View Post

I am just questing you do not catch a lot of catfish the slime gets in the grooves of the pliers and will not hold the skin. But other than that you give alot of good advice.
                      Not going to lie..,not big on catfish. However my vicegrip teeth do have bite. As soon as they wear a bit, I repurpose them into a custom tool

Past Boats

Comment

Not going to lie..,not big on catfish. However my vicegrip teeth do have bite. As soon as they wear a bit, I repurpose them into a custom tool
                        Yep, for some reason a lot of people don't like eating catfish. Some say because it eats off the bottom. I don't get that reasoning. I personally love it. Love the texture and the taste. To each his own. I won't begrudge anyone for not liking certain "foods". More for me!

Comment

So, MRS...what do you use as bait for catching your catfish? I've been looking for a home concoction recipe, but can't seem to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by poconojoe View Post

Yep, for some reason a lot of people don't like eating catfish. Some say because it eats off the bottom. I don't get that reasoning. I personally love it. Love the texture and the taste. To each his own. I won't begrudge anyone for not liking certain "foods". More for me!
                            Give me a good walleye or a good perch..... for salt water fish...give me a grouper or a hog fish.... nothing wrong with bottom feeders....thats where crabs and lobster come from.

Past Boats

Comment

I have used a small pair of vise grips before (As Scott said). They work; I just prefer the spring loaded nippers.
                              As far as flavor; to each his own. I can catch 3-4 catfish 18"-20" out of the tank; skin and filet them. The Admiral cooks them.
                              To us; fresh fried catfish with fries and onion rings etc.is a better meal than at a Seafood place.
                              I know what these fish eat; bread and dog food.

Comment

Working...
                              X