Catfish Skinning pliers

MRS

Commander
Ok my hands are getting older and sore so what are the best or better skinning pliers to use on tough old catfish?
Thanks for any replies.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I have a pair of these and they work well. Haven't used them in a long time. Dang, I need to go fishing soon!

catfish pliers.jpg

MRS

Commander
I have a pair of these and they work well. Haven't used them in a long time. Dang, I need to go fishing soon!

Yes you do!:) I think I will order a pair of those looks like you can just grab the skin without slime getting in the way like pliers do. My hands just do not work like they use to Thanks for the reply...

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
As I recall, dipping the catfish in boiling water for a few seconds helps removal.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
As I recall, dipping the catfish in boiling water for a few seconds helps removal.

Might be worth a try! I use what BWR showed in his post. Hang 'em on a nail;cut their barbs;cut the skin then pull.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thats is what I have been using but the slime gets in there and they will not grip.

then buy new vicegrips where the teeth on the jaws are not worn

MRS

Commander
then buy new vicegrips where the teeth on the jaws are not worn

I am just questing you do not catch a lot of catfish the slime gets in the grooves of the pliers and will not hold the skin. But other than that you give alot of good advice.;)

MRS

Commander
The hot water thing sounds good but lots of times cleaning at the fish station there at the lake. Plus cannot nail the head to anything there. Have to hold in hand and skin so the BWR pliers seem like the way to go picked up a pair today will try them out on the next catfish Thanks and my hands will Thank you.:nod:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I am just questing you do not catch a lot of catfish the slime gets in the grooves of the pliers and will not hold the skin. But other than that you give alot of good advice.;)

Not going to lie..,not big on catfish. However my vicegrip teeth do have bite. As soon as they wear a bit, I repurpose them into a custom tool

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Not going to lie..,not big on catfish. However my vicegrip teeth do have bite. As soon as they wear a bit, I repurpose them into a custom tool

Yep, for some reason a lot of people don't like eating catfish. Some say because it eats off the bottom. I don't get that reasoning. I personally love it. Love the texture and the taste. To each his own. I won't begrudge anyone for not liking certain "foods". More for me!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
So, MRS...what do you use as bait for catching your catfish? I've been looking for a home concoction recipe, but can't seem to find one.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yep, for some reason a lot of people don't like eating catfish. Some say because it eats off the bottom. I don't get that reasoning. I personally love it. Love the texture and the taste. To each his own. I won't begrudge anyone for not liking certain "foods". More for me!

Give me a good walleye or a good perch..... for salt water fish...give me a grouper or a hog fish.... nothing wrong with bottom feeders....thats where crabs and lobster come from.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I have used a small pair of vise grips before (As Scott said). They work; I just prefer the spring loaded nippers.
As far as flavor; to each his own. I can catch 3-4 catfish 18"-20" out of the tank; skin and filet them. The Admiral cooks them.
To us; fresh fried catfish with fries and onion rings etc.is a better meal than at a Seafood place.
I know what these fish eat; bread and dog food.

MRS

Commander
They are not bottom feeders like most think fly line a chunk of mackrel or a small bluegill can't do that in California but in Arizona can do. That is why most do not get the good size cats they think they are bottom feeders. Here in California you cannot use live bait so I fly line liver or mackrel or anchovies. If your can get crawdads thats is the best bait they love live bait.

prlwng

Seaman
Fillet cats. Then you have boneless meat. There are many utube vidoes on this. Electric knife works good. The belly meat makes great nuggets.

bullheads, creekchubs, bluegills, etc. All good baits. For eaters smaller pieces of cut carp, or before mn entioned baits are great. Circle hooks of size 7ott or larger. Also have a very small float about 6 inches or so above bait. This gets it off bottom.

Then one can always use chicken breast. Good all round channel or blue bait.

MRS

Commander
Thanks for the reply that stuff works good on the channels here but the Flatheads seem to go for the live stuff off the bottom.
Plus the channels here seem to like hot dogs too. Have to check out the videos and maybe buy a electric knife.