Whats this on my lure??

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Just got a nice little set of lures.I have never seen theses red tabs before?? Should i assume they are to protect me from the hook and are to be removed??Charlie

Attachments

• photo303531.jpg
    photo303531.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fish attractor, like a vibrating leaf on a spoon and these are spoons. Leave 'em on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lures are meant to catch fishermen.---------Once they are sold the manufacturer is happy..

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Maybe to imitate a bleeding tail? I'd leave 'em on too.

Agreed on the catching fisherman! :lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We look at lures and think fish will snap them up because WE think the fish think a hunk of plastic or metal looks like dinner. Then we throw the newest lure in the bottom of the tackle box and look for the next lure WE think the fish will think is dinner. :joyous:

Yeah, I've been hooked a few times and will be in the future. :facepalm:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im still trying to figure out how fish (water dwelling elusive creature) got the taste for worms (land dwelling creature)....

I must have 50 artificial baits that look like live bait.....and I catch the most fish on live bait.

I agree......lures catch fisherman

sam am I

Commander
Humans live on land (exclusively less aqua man of course) and have a taste for fish...........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Humans live on land (exclusively less aqua man of course) and have a taste for fish...........

correct, however man eats anything from land, sea and air as we have found ways to infiltrate the sea and air. still trying to picture a fish flopping up on land, digging up a worm.... then eating said worm....flopping back into the water and swimming off to tell his fish friends. I think Bill Engvall had a skit on that about 25 years ago.

sam am I

Commander
Sorta like sharks? eat man, birds, tires, trash and other fish? I think its a Maslow's thing, mainly and for all species.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Im still trying to figure out how fish (water dwelling elusive creature) got the taste for worms (land dwelling creature)....
Cause there are thousands of species of aquatic worms as well. They've identified 110 species of worms in the Chesapeake alone. Come the end of May into June, you might as well stay home unless you have something that imitates a (May) clam worm.

Fishing commercially and competitively, one would figure I'd have a 18 wheeler full of tackle. Outside my trolling lures, all my "lures" fit in a shoulder bag. Jig heads of various weights for plastics. An assortment of metal (vertical jigging and casting) and a 1/2 dozen Stillwater Smack It lures.

If I can't catch fish with any of theses, it's time to go home.