Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Trolling with more rods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling with more rods

Hello everyone. I have just upgraded my riggers to the Cannon mag 5 with the 24" boom. I'm fishing out of an 18' boat. I normally 4 rods. I want to add 2 more dipsys. Was thinking about running at 1.5 and 3. At 1.5 does that get me far enough away from my riggers and if so how carefully do I need to be on turns. I mostly fish for trout and salmon on western lake Ontario. With running 2 riggers and 4 divers what would the best plan on depth compared to the riggers. Thanks for any help

Where there is a will there is a way...

I troll up to 21 rods on a 22’ boat.

Running a pair of Mag 10s and pair of large, three board, planer boards out 125’.

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
      Where there is a will there is a way...[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/core\/image\/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP\/\/\/wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw=="**[/IMG2]​

I troll up to 21 rods on a 22’ boat

Running a pair of Mag 10s and pair of large, three board, planer boards out 125’.
      21 rods? Man your good. If I run 5 off my 19' StarCraft I'm looking at a mess especially on Erie with the currents or a Silver Bass or Smallmouth hitting a line and then crossing them all. Carbuncklement is what we call it. We had a 15 minute trip last year when exactly that happened. I have 3 different size Dipsys, also run Jet Divers. I will set my Dipsy's to max to get them as far from the boat as possible, 3. If I have them on planners about 100 feet off each side I don't crank the setting. I like Jet Divers over Dipsy's, I don't have great success with Dipsy's. Too much tuning them for me. Many times I have checked the lines to find a small Silver on it and not trip. We fish the west end of Lake O as well on the Canadian side.
      Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

My personal opinion is running a bunch of rods trolling is a pain in the glutes and not worth the hassle. But if you are going to do it then consider stacking stacking lines on your downriggers using stacking clips or a Shuttle Hawk. And if you want to run even more lines go with dipsy divers or depending on depth consider lead core line.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

21 rods? Man your good. If I run 5 off my 19' StarCraft I'm looking at a mess especially on Erie with the currents or a Silver Bass or Smallmouth hitting a line and then crossing them all. Carbuncklement is what we call it. We had a 15 minute trip last year when exactly that happened. I have 3 different size Dipsys, also run Jet Divers. I will set my Dipsy's to max to get them as far from the boat as possible, 3. If I have them on planners about 100 feet off each side I don't crank the setting. I like Jet Divers over Dipsy's, I don't have great success with Dipsy's. Too much tuning them for me. Many times I have checked the lines to find a small Silver on it and not trip. We fish the west end of Lake O as well on the Canadian side.
          Its all about bait placement and knowing exactly where a particular bait is running in the spread. Need to have a three dimensional picture of the spread in your head at all times.

I could write a book on the particulars, but here is a pretty decent overview of the process.

We have a pretty good “current” to deal with as well..ranges from 0 to 4 kts and changes direction very 6 hours. Even more fun when the outgoing tide runs against the prevailing south winds. Things get bumpy in hurry

Comment

https://www.fishtalkmag.com/blog/spr...olling-spreads

Comment

Its all about bait placement and knowing exactly where a particular bait is running in the spread. Need to have a three dimensional picture of the spread in your head at all times.

I could write a book on the particulars, but here is a pretty decent overview of the process.

We have a pretty good “current” to deal with as well..ranges from 0 to 4 kts and changes direction very 6 hours. Even more fun when the outgoing tide runs against the prevailing south winds. Things get bumpy in hurry
              But 21 rods? We are allowed 2 per person on only some areas of the Great Lakes here in Ontario. 21 rods, that in my opinion is ridiculous unless running off a cruise ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ironmaker View Post

But 21 rods? We are allowed 2 per person on only some areas of the Great Lakes here in Ontario. 21 rods, that in my opinion is ridiculous unless running off a cruise ship.
                Well....then its a good thing that I don't fish the Great Lakes in Ontario and I have the skill and talent to fish 21 rods without a boat the size of a cruise ship.

The fuel to troll a cruise ship for three days would certainly put a dent in your prize money....lol

Comment

Well....then its a good thing that I don't fish the Great Lakes in Ontario and I have the skill and talent to fish 21 rods without a boat the size of a cruise ship.

The fuel to troll a cruise ship for three days would certainly put a dent in your prize money....lol
                  You are good dear Sir. I would love to see a pic of your setup. I've seen 12 when we were 4 of us on a charter on Erie racked and stacked and all was good until a Rainbow didn't co operate and ran across 6 lines.

Comment

Dingbat could take a few thousand miles to turn on his body of water if im correct,lol.I don't even like using 2 rods ,but then again im fishing for pleasure not a lively hood or the likes.Most of the time I could care less if I even get a bite .The fact im out on the boat is therapy of the highest order.All pains and all other issues just melt away.Id love to see a vid of all 21 rods popping off at the same time .That would be interesting im sure.

Comment

Pix! We need pix!
                      1976 Starcraft Kingfisher Frugal Functional Fix-up
                      1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod
                      Garage Project
                      ------------
                      There is a fine line between stoic... and DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by 82rude View Post
                        Dingbat could take a few thousand miles to turn on his body of water if im correct,lol.I don't even like using 2 rods ,but then again im fishing for pleasure not a lively hood or the likes.Most of the time I could care less if I even get a bite .The fact im out on the boat is therapy of the highest order.All pains and all other issues just melt away.Id love to see a vid of all 21 rods popping off at the same time .That would be interesting im sure.
                        Nobody takes up Sport fishing for relaxation....lol

Bear in mind this is a trophy fishery. There is a 36" minimum length and a one fish per day limit. On a good day you might hook half a dozen fish over a 8 hr. period.

The most rods I've had gone down at one time is 8.

I was out with my fishing partner the second week in December. Stumbled upon a "false bottom" (bait so thick the 3ft. depth alarm on the sounder went off in 70+' of water) away from the fleet and we had a day to remember all by ourselves. Trolled the outside edge of the bait ball. The two of us boated 17 fish between 40 and 42 inches in a little over 1.5 hrs. Only time I've ever left fish biting.

Comment

Originally posted by BWR1953 View Post
                          Pix! We need pix!
                          Average grade fish....catch them considerably larger

Comment

Not really up on ocean fish what is that ?

Comment

That's a very nice striped bass! My best was only 9 pounds when I lived up in Maryland.
                              1976 Starcraft Kingfisher Frugal Functional Fix-up
                              1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod
                              Garage Project
                              ------------
                              There is a fine line between stoic... and DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X