New techniques or lures to catch bass

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I moved 5 mins from the north east cape fear river North Carolina. I've been using a Texas rigged zoom and culprit worms in all different colors. I also use spinners and catch crappy, brim, boffins, chain pickerial, but no luck on bass. I went to a throw around tournament with some guys. I caught no bass, others brought in 7 pounders. I'm new to bass fishing, and I love my boat just wish I could catch a couple bass. Any suggestions would be very much appreciate! Thanks for reading.

Respectfully,

Tekin

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need some of those top secret tips. There's some kind of trick to catching bass in a river. I just haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully someone will come along with some experience and help us.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Have fished competitively for a number of years

When...where and why. Figure that out and you’ll catch fish

Two tips:
1. Fish where there are fish.

Large portions of anybody of water doesn’t hold fish for one reason or anther. Know the whys and wheres

2. Use what they are eating as bait.

Primary food sources can change on a daily basis. Know the when and whats

What creature in the avaiable food chain does a multicolored Sluggo replicate?

Remember.....Food source, access to cover, and water temps

I'm a smallmouth river guide in North East Pennsylvania. If your looking for tips on smallmouth fishing in a river I can help you. If it's large mouth I'm not your guy.

MRS

Commander
You got to put time on the water pay your dues. No other way .

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. I'll take that advice for sure. I finally caught some large mouth in the lilly pads. I would slowly drag a zoom green lizard across the pads and caught some nice one. I agree Mrs I need to put in the time. Thanks again.

Attachments

• photo294583.jpg
    photo294583.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bass Fishing - my favorite hobby! I will reiterate what dingbat said .. take some time and try to learn what is in the area and duplicate its look. But also, think about how it moves and duplicate that too. You did right with the lizard on the pads instead of pulling 2 ft under water because that's what lizards do. If you'd had a super salty finesse worm - it probably wouldn't have taken it because worms swim in the water, usually pretty close to the surface (about 1 to 2 feet). Oh, and bass love salt, so you can't go wrong with zoom products infused with salt.

The smartest fish I have ever fished for was trout, and large mouth bass is the second. LMB's are a predator fish, and very inquisitive. Some times you feel like you have a nibble and go to set the hook and -- nothing. It's because bass will suck in stuff they are curious about and spit it back out. It's their way of saying "hey whats that?" since they don't have fingers. You'll almost never be able to set the hook on that. If they run with it and you try to set the hook too fast, they will spit it out. If they run and you let them - they will spit it out thinking "hey this thing isn't even trying to get away, i don't want that!" . The trick is to learn when to set the hook. I usually watch my line in the water and as soon as he changes direction a give a little pull, then a set. They are also very intrigued with shiny, so spinners work well to get their interest. Make sure it has a treble hook so that when it tries to spit it back out it has a better chance of hooking itself.

Bass love structure. Look for docks, trees underwater, anything that can give them shelter. They really don't have many predators in the water except themselves, but they still hang out around stuff that hides them. Its more about what comes around for them to snag and eat than hiding from a threat. Bigger LMB's will eat smaller bass. And they can eat something 1/3 its size. And since they are predatory fish, their eyes look forward and up. They will sometimes go for stuff dragging the bottom, but not usually. The best times to fish for them are dusk and dawn because they have great eyesight, and they see forward and up, so at those times the light angle to the water makes it harder for them to see you above the water line.

Most importantly - have fun and don't get frustrated. My boys don't like to fish, they just don't get it. I tell them "Sometimes you go fishing to catch fish, but sometimes you just go to go fishing". I've never had a lousy day fishing, but have had way more days of an empty creel than days of it being full.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'd love to help but we don't have many if any Largemouth here on the north shore of Lake Erie. Smallies, we can walk across the water on them. I have fished for Largemouth though in Northern Ontario and locally. From my experience Largemouth Bass want a few things, good cover, good forage and good oxygenated water. You don't see them school much or travel long distances to feed, maybe that's why the lazy buggers get so fat. If you find those 3 you will find the fish. As in Real Estate it's location, location. When Bass are active they will attack a cigarette but on a hook. For any species of fish my credo is LPP, Location, Population and Presentation. My advise to you is to, read, watch videos and ask others. But the most important thing is to go fishing. Be patient, there is no formula, no presentation, no bait choice that is sure fire for any species. If there was it would be called catching not fishing. Get out there and fish until your casting hand is bleeding. The fish will tell you what you want. Are you really sure you want to do this? If you are fantastic but be prepared for the pain. But then when you get that personal best Bucketmouth all that pain goes away. Good luck my man.

Johnny D/Lake Erie Ontario

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Bass Fishing - my favorite hobby! I will reiterate what dingbat said .. take some time and try to learn what is in the area and duplicate its look. But also, think about how it moves and duplicate that too. You did right with the lizard on the pads instead of pulling 2 ft under water because that's what lizards do. If you'd had a super salty finesse worm - it probably wouldn't have taken it because worms swim in the water, usually pretty close to the surface (about 1 to 2 feet). Oh, and bass love salt, so you can't go wrong with zoom products infused with salt.

The smartest fish I have ever fished for was trout, and large mouth bass is the second. LMB's are a predator fish, and very inquisitive. Some times you feel like you have a nibble and go to set the hook and -- nothing. It's because bass will suck in stuff they are curious about and spit it back out. It's their way of saying "hey whats that?" since they don't have fingers. You'll almost never be able to set the hook on that. If they run with it and you try to set the hook too fast, they will spit it out. If they run and you let them - they will spit it out thinking "hey this thing isn't even trying to get away, i don't want that!" . The trick is to learn when to set the hook. I usually watch my line in the water and as soon as he changes direction a give a little pull, then a set. They are also very intrigued with shiny, so spinners work well to get their interest. Make sure it has a treble hook so that when it tries to spit it back out it has a better chance of hooking itself.

Bass love structure. Look for docks, trees underwater, anything that can give them shelter. They really don't have many predators in the water except themselves, but they still hang out around stuff that hides them. Its more about what comes around for them to snag and eat than hiding from a threat. Bigger LMB's will eat smaller bass. And they can eat something 1/3 its size. And since they are predatory fish, their eyes look forward and up. They will sometimes go for stuff dragging the bottom, but not usually. The best times to fish for them are dusk and dawn because they have great eyesight, and they see forward and up, so at those times the light angle to the water makes it harder for them to see you above the water line.

Most importantly - have fun and don't get frustrated. My boys don't like to fish, they just don't get it. I tell them "Sometimes you go fishing to catch fish, but sometimes you just go to go fishing". I've never had a lousy day fishing, but have had way more days of an empty creel than days of it being full.

This. I have to add you will never catch a fish without going fishing. If I had a Buck for every time we got skunk eyed I'd be loaded.

Bassn7

Seaman
Black neon tube with the bullet weight pushed inside...not on the line in front. Texas rig with a 4/0 Owner Riggin' hook then skin hook the point on the outside edge of the tube. Cast, let sink, pull side ways with rod along bottom, reel in slack. Repeat. You will lose baits, BUT...this catches bass. I catch bass in my bathroom tub it works so well. :)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I love tube jigs for Smallies, never tried for Large Mouth. For added zest break off a piece of Alka Selzor and stick it in the tube, Bass go nuts for it. I find natural colours work best for me hare on Lake Erie. The best Smallmouth and Walleye fishery in the World. A small Smallie here is 3 pounds. A small Pickerel is 5.