Trolling bag question

prayingmantis

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. It's been a while since I have been on. First of all I have a '95 18' spectrum with a 120 hp mercury marine force. I fish Lake Ontario for salmon mainly. Currently I have a trolling plate that i added a spot so i could run it at a 45° angle. I'm thinking about trolling bags so maybe I don't have to have the idle higher. I know everyone talks up the ones from amish outfitters. Is there anyone else that you would recommend? With trolling for salmon I'm trolling 2.5-2.9.

Also when I fish the 1000 islands area we drift a lot. Could I also use them for that also ?

thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
drop your prop pitch, helps in slowing the boat down for trolling

trolling bag / drift sock helps, however putting a low pitch prop is the ticket.

prayingmantis

Seaman Apprentice
I pull the prop off today. It is a 13 1/4 x 19. What size would you recommend going down to that would slow it down enough to troll without a plate or bags ?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I’m sure I’m missing something but why don’t you want to continue with the trolling plate? Drift socks work great but you always have the chance for line tangles with it or a fish wrapping the line around it. Finally keep in mind that a different prop may change performance either lower top end speed, or higher or lower rpm’s or less power or???