Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Trolling bag question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling bag question

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I have been on. First of all I have a '95 18' spectrum with a 120 hp mercury marine force. I fish Lake Ontario for salmon mainly. Currently I have a trolling plate that i added a spot so i could run it at a 45° angle. I'm thinking about trolling bags so maybe I don't have to have the idle higher. I know everyone talks up the ones from amish outfitters. Is there anyone else that you would recommend? With trolling for salmon I'm trolling 2.5-2.9.

Also when I fish the 1000 islands area we drift a lot. Could I also use them for that also ?

thanks

drop your prop pitch, helps in slowing the boat down for trolling

trolling bag / drift sock helps, however putting a low pitch prop is the ticket.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I pull the prop off today. It is a 13 1/4 x 19. What size would you recommend going down to that would slow it down enough to troll without a plate or bags ?

Comment

Originally posted by prayingmantis View Post
        I pull the prop off today. It is a 13 1/4 x 19. What size would you recommend going down to that would slow it down enough to troll without a plate or bags ?
        What's your idle / trolling RPM?

Comment

I’m sure I’m missing something but why don’t you want to continue with the trolling plate? Drift socks work great but you always have the chance for line tangles with it or a fish wrapping the line around it. Finally keep in mind that a different prop may change performance either lower top end speed, or higher or lower rpm’s or less power or???

Comment

Working...
          X