Depth finder!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have been wanting to upgrade the depth finder on my boat from the 3in. that came on it so ive been looking at the Dragonfly pro7 and i do alot of night fishing and i was wondering how the screen is at night bc i read somewhere online that at night its hard to see the depth finder in the dark so i was wondering if anybody has this and uses it at night and lemme know if its actually worth buying?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I don’t have a DragonFly but I’m also in the market for a new FF also. Most of the reviews on the DragonFly have been favorable. I don’t know how you saw much of anything on a 3” screen. All of the Fishfinders I’ve fished with have had well lit screens for night. I don’t use the fish finder part much at night but I do use the gps at night. Going to a 7” screen will make a world of difference for you regardless of what brand you go with. I’m upgrading from a 7” Lowrence to a 9 or 10”.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Never heard of such a thing.
Usally a bigger problem to reduce the backlighting enough to avoid problems with your night vision

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
All the units I have seen you can adjust the back lighting from dim to bright.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don’t know how you saw much of anything on a 3” screen.
Agree..and a 7" combo unit is simply two 3" screens side by side....not a fan of combo units in general because of the inherent size limitations....I also don't like all my eggs in one basket.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Purchase the largest screen you can afford. I have a 7 inch combo and a 7 inch sonar so I don't have to use split screen I have never heard of a Dragonfly unit so can't comment. All the sonar units have backlight for night viewing, I have never experienced one without it, including my 23 year old Black and White Eagle Ultra. If you are installing a new transducer do not run the wire close to other electrical wiring, most likely you will get interference

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked into the dragonflies and was not impressed by the reviews, instead went with another lowrance, 7 inch combo with downscan. Am very happy with the unit. I also do a lot of night fishing both fresh and salt so a chartplotter is mandatory for me

Thank yall and believe me it was hard with the 3in screen lol but im getting trim pump put on this weekend then imma be looking to buy thank yall i think im going to go with a lowrance

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would highly recommend you look at the performance of a CHIRP (spread spectrum) unit before buying a conventional fish finder.

And don’t fall for the 2 or 3 frequency junk being marked as CHIRP. It’s not, and the performance is nowhere close to a unit with a 70-80 kHz frequency spread.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
As long as you don't care about networking, the dragonfly is a good choice....I have never used it at night but it has no problem in full sunlight! I have the 7 Pro on my kids 13' whaler and love it! I assume that your budget is about $500-700 so real chirp is not going to happen...Any Lowrance or Raymarine unit in that price range will serve you well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I assume that your budget is about $500-700 so real chirp is not going to happen..
You know what they say about making assumptions.....

Full CHIRP, 9” display, downview, sideview and side scan with world map set - $599

Same features 7” display - $499

tf007

Cadet
Maybe I can chime in if it's not too late. I'm not a fan boy by any means but I think a Lowrance is hard to beat. I really didn't like the resolution on the earlier dragonfly. If you're looking to save a few bucks humminbird makes some good ones. There is a pretty good list below.

shanmonster1

Recruit
I have a 1972 Glastron with fiberglass hull and wood transom.I want to put a transducer in boat for fish finder will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.