PLANER BOARD MAST POSITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
1988 thompson 240 fisherman hardtop ,i have a duel big jon planer board mast ,has anyone positioned the mast centered on hardtop on the aft of hardtop will this work or not, any pics would help from thompson or maybe penn yan

Attachments

• photo281852.jpg
    photo281852.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 3

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No mast required.
I run 42” triple boards off an eye hook attached to the front hardtop supports post. My boards run at such an angle they are out of the cockpit area yet close enough to just reach up and clip on.

I run 125’ lines made of 0.095” diameter string trimmer line off each side. Roll the lines up on a extension cord reel for storage.

Thought about going with planer reels mounted to the hard top. Clean solution but it really doesn’t buy me much since I need to pull the boards by hand anyhow. At that point, just as easy to wind them on the wheelDoesn’t really buy me anything

Last edited:

G_Dabrowski

Banned
Using the boards is super simple. First, let out the desired amount of line to get your bait/lure to the desired depth this is where line-counting reels are key. Next, clip your line into the planer board using the two clips one on the arm towards the front, the other at the rear or attached to the tattle system.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
clip your line into the planer board using the two clips one on the arm towards the front, the other at the rear or attached to the tattle system.
You had me scratching my head until I figured out your talking about side planers.

Side planers are too small for the baits and conditions I fish. Deployment sounds a bit more complicated than boards.

Advantages of side planers over a conventional planer board setup?

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
No post required, on some boats. We rigged a 23' cuddy 2 years ago by mounting a downrigger motor and it's spool and ran the line from the spool to a sheave ahead of the main spool. It is mounted on the hardtop post on each side of the boat. No more winding by hand, it sure is nifty.

A warning about using weed wacker line. It has a tendency to break down over time, maybe sunlight, and small burrs and kinks in the line will eventually stop the clips attached to your fishing line to easily slide down to the board.

dingbat, the small boards like the Church brand are far too small to use on choppy waters where we fish, Erie and Ontario, they will flip over. We use boards that are at least 5 lbs, almost 3 feet long and a foot wide.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A warning about using weed wacker line. It has a tendency to break down over time, maybe sunlight, and small burrs and kinks in the line will eventually stop the clips attached to your fishing line to easily slide down to the board.
I get 6 to 7 years out of a set of 0.095"(orange) trimmer lines. A small nick or burr would cause the line to break long before it interfered with the lines going out. Use Scotty Powergrip Plus clips and large carabiner clips. Ordered a set of #800 mono lines for Spring season.

the small boards like the Church brand are far too small to use on choppy waters where we fish, Erie and Ontario, they will flip over. We use boards that are at least 5 lbs, almost 3 feet long and a foot wide.
Don't know for sure..guessing my boards are #15-20 each. 42" long, x 38" wide, 3 board. Made from 5/4" x 8" pine painted with epoxy paint. #200 planer board line doesn't stand a chance given the shock loads involved. Can run up to 6-umbrella rigs or 8- parachute baits (4 -12 oz) off each line. Boats rigged to pull 21 rods although we normally fish 12 or 14

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The owner must use cheap line, Knowing him it was from a dumpster. I'm not sure about the line breaking before it interferes, it hasn't so far. The clips he uses are cheap shower curtain hangers with those brown electrical clips, his boat not mine. The electrical clips actually work quite well. He bought a big box full at a yard sale years ago.

Ryanmash

Recruit
I have mine situated as separate units. If you are going to mount the mast as one single unit I suggest mounting on the bowl with a sturdy riser. I assume you will be running big boards...a single mast off the center of the hardtop will act as a large lever. I know because I have two separate booms for my mast and they pull extremely hard causing quite a bit of flex on my hardtop. Just my .02

Attachments

• bt.jpg
    bt.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.