Floodwater fishing

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Our water levels are way up this year in Central-North parts of Saskatchewan. It appears the fish are down 3 times as deep or more than usual. Any tips for fishing in such high water (Green Lake 54 degrees North and 108 degrees West is 4 feet higher than normal).

82rude

Rear Admiral
Get the bait down to them, they will do the rest.In my lake which is 35 miles long no matter the level of the water i always keep close to the bottom for Walleye.When everybody else quits i go out at 1 to 4 in the afternoon and always come home limited out.For me fishing the edge of a dropoff and working down wards with a jig and the lowly worm works prettywell everytime.Both pike and bass i go a little higher but still work the dropoffs.My lake starts out in the spring high then because its a dammed lake it will sometimes go down 30 to 40 feet.I still fish the exact same way .I guess what im trying to say is get to the fish and the rest will happen if their willing.I still fish the traditional times also and of the tons of fish ive caught ive yet to catch one with a timex on them.

Last edited:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
You didn't mention what you are fishing for or the method you are using. In general higher water levels mean the fish are spread out more. Fish seek their comfort zone which is dependent on oxygen, temperature and food. If you have a fish finder locate the depth the fish are at and get your lure, bait or what ever down to the fish or actually just above the fish.