Black Lights

coresuper

Seaman
Do any of you use black lights for night fishing? If so, what ones do you recommend.,

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have never used any. Does it offer any advantage I probably should know about to up my chances of catching any fish? :noidea:

I need all the help I can get! :eek:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
sure GM the florcarbon lines light up in the black light, i cat fish at night so its important to see any movement or twitch and you can see it better at night than you can during the day, 20 lb line looks as big as a 1 inch tow rope in the dark and it dosent draw bugs, its the only way to go

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sure GM the florcarbon lines light up in the black light, i cat fish at night so its important to see any movement or twitch and you can see it better at night than you can during the day, 20 lb line looks as big as a 1 inch tow rope in the dark and it dosent draw bugs, its the only way to go

Okay, thanks for that info MH Hawker. While I did know UV light makes fluorocarbon fishing line light up, I didn't realize it didn't attract the typical bugs at night. That is good news to know. Thanks.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
its one of those things that once you try it your like why didnt i do this years ago

dwco5051

Commander

It also makes a backlash a psychedelic event. It is the only way to go when you are casting towards a bank at night.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Lights for fishing are illegal here in Ontario, at one time legal for Smelt only. Black light would sure help.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting....don't use fluorocarbon, actually hate the stuff, but surf fish a lot at night.

Sharks and such don't give a darn but the big Red Drum we target don't like light at all. Even an errant flash of a flashlight will send scurrying to deeper water.

Instead, we use small, LED light (red, green and blue) that clips on the tip of your rod. Visible for quite some distance, yet the array of light is limited to a just a couple of inches.

Uses hearing aide battery for a power source. Gets 80 to 100 hours per battery.

http://www.breakawayusa.com/products/accessories/rod-tip-lights/