Anyone Insure your tackle.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Last month I decided to gather up ALL my tackle that is spread throughout our little place to get ready for the softwater season. I found bags of unopened tackle and stuff I don't remember buying. I started with 2 boxes that holds plastic flip pages, it's called "Tackle Mate" a great solution for plugs as the hooks don't tangle. Just 1 box alone can hold 225 plugs. Both are full and I have 4 full trays of other hard baits. That is about $7000.00 just in plugs to replace today, minnowbaits. jerkbaits, crankbaits etc. Oh my. There has to be another 2 or more grand in spinners, spinnerbaits, paddle tails in another Tackle Mate box. The empty boxes are 300 bucks with tax maybe more today. Then there is all the bags of plastics and trays of jigs. 2 trays full of terminal tackle and I don't know how many spools of line, from 4 lb mono to Leadcore. Oops forgot all the Ice Fishing tackle.I haven't counted the rods and reels another 2 grand or more. Then there's the dozens of Antique lures I picked up over the years. The crazy thing is I don't think I have much compared to some guys I know.

I call the insurance guy and he says $500.00 is covered if I loose it or it's stolen, deductible is that much? The contents of the home should cover losses from fire. I don't think so. The only way I could lose it all is if this shack burned down because I would never get it all in 1 boat.

Does anyone else have this disease? I know many do so that was a rhetorical question. Do you have it all insured, or do you think it is insured? I need to bump up my contents loss for fire.

Want some advice, don't add it all up. Now I know why Canadian Tire has all the Rappala's and Live Bait lures locked in a display case, the way they do for diamonds in jewelry stores.

Lawnmower-Don

Seaman Apprentice
I'm a tackle junkie. Got about 2k worth in my bank fishing backpack alone. I mostly try to keep the true cost of my habit hidden from the wife. She saw me open one pocket with about 20 bags of soft plastics and started flipping out about "how much was all of that stuff" quickly closed the pocket and keep things hidden in the garage and back of closet. If she flips over one pocket I'd catch hell if she found any of the 10or15 3600boxes full of hard baits.

Hide it well...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've been involved with one of the largest tackle shows/flea markets in the area for a number of years now. What started out as a a means for club members to sell fishing and boating stuff to fellow members after a meeting, morphed into 100+ new and used vendors with thousands of paying customers thru the door in a single day.

Experience has proven tackle to be a high depreciation commodity. Used tackle is a limited and trendy market. Most goes for pennIes on the dollar in the resale market unless they're collectors items.

Having said that, all my rods and reels are insured for appraised value. Most are high end, limited editions, customs or collectors items.

Biggest worry.....when I die, my wife sells my tackle for what I told her I paid for it...lol

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'm a tackle junkie. Got about 2k worth in my bank fishing backpack alone. I mostly try to keep the true cost of my habit hidden from the wife. She saw me open one pocket with about 20 bags of soft plastics and started flipping out about "how much was all of that stuff" quickly closed the pocket and keep things hidden in the garage and back of closet. If she flips over one pocket I'd catch hell if she found any of the 10or15 3600boxes full of hard baits.

Hide it well...

That's why my stuff is stealthily stored all around this property, or in plus my secret spots on the boat. Why is it we have to hide our stuff and they can proudly display all their stuff in walk in closets? My ex had an entire 3200 square foot home to keep her stuff in but I wasn't "allowed" to buy a stupid boat. She's working part time in a high end clothing store for the discount and I'm slugging 12 hour OT shifts on Blast Furnaces. Operative word "ex". Actually I lie, I don't need to hide anything my wife now has never complained and buys me tackle for B Days and Christmas. I love this woman. For 25 years now.

Dingbat, I got a few super deals from widows selling the deceased husbands stuff. Not just tackle. A few years ago I saw a full set of Ping Irons, a few Cleveland wedges, Taylor Made R11 woods and a Ping Staff bag for 50 bucks, not old either. I didn't have the heart to buy them for 50. I told her the set was worth at least $400.00 to $500.00, she thanked me and said I could have them for nothing. I wouldn't take them but she twisted my arm. I slipped a100 dollar bill in her change can.

Fishaddicted

Cadet
I had a friend just lose 1000 dollars in tackle under a bridge to many beers crappie fishing one night left his box under the bridge i bet he wishes he could have insurance now but i think the beer was more important that night than the tackle