Looking for advice on Bait cast reels

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Hard to beat a Ambassaduer 5600 C3, with a MED HVY 7FT rod there is nothing that swims in fresh water it won't handle.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since you asked for advice -- Here's what I did years ago -- I purchased a $39 bait caster from Walmart. I spooled #30 braided line. I tied on a weight about t​wice the weight of two 10" worms. Then I watched a video on how to adjust the brakes and drag. I practiced over and over. I threw overhand, underhand, side arm and even pitching and flipping. Do not go for distance but go for short distance and smoothness. Later practice for accuracy. Practice, practice, practice. You will learn. One day all casting will be second nature to you. Yes you will soon be able to cast an 8" worm but not against the wind. Also watch a video on how to clear up a backlash. You will get them by the dozens but you will also be getting experience on how to untangle them. You will learn that all backlashes can be untangled. Then one day go buy yourself a $100 reel. You are in for a great experience.

Trigger753

Recruit
The BPS reels as mentioned above are very user friendly. For less than 100.00 the Pro Qualifer is especially good. It has both magnetic and centrifical brakes. I have had several people use a bait caster for the first time on my boat. They can have it mastered in a very short time. If they have had bad experiences with bait casters before the Pros make them believers. I have high end reels as well. But there are always a few qualifiers on the deck.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Go to Walmart, get you a quantum real for about 60 to 70 bucks. Been using them for years through several upgrades and changes of the same real, but it's a damn good real, and very forgiving for beginners to pros. They hold up great, I have a couple I've used for years and a couple new ones. Low profile. I live in Louisiana and fish 2 to 3 times a week. So, I know these reals well.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The funny part about learning and using Bait Cast Reels is that even when you go back to spinning reels and fish for a while, that returning to Bait Cast Reels again, it seems natural and doesn't take any more learning curve. Once you learn the technique, it is like riding a bike. The different type reels are used in different fishing situations. Spin Cast for pan fish and Crappie, Bait Cast for Bass and such. You have to have all of them. JMHO

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
never understood the attraction of bait casting reels that back lash and snarl,, ive tried em,, pain in the ass... get a spinning reel and your problems are over for good.. :) my 2 c. deep sea fishing for really heavy fish need power of bait caster, that's about it in my view

josh_booth

Seaman
never understood the attraction of bait casting reels that back lash and snarl,, ive tried em,, pain in the ***... get a spinning reel and your problems are over for good.. :) my 2 c. deep sea fishing for really heavy fish need power of bait caster, that's about it in my view

A big Muskie will shred most spinning reels, that fish is why I started running baitcasters and haven't looked back. Now its pretty much all I use, currently have Abu, Diawa, Quantum, and Phlueger baitcasters. For the most part the only time my spinning reels get used is when my wife goes along.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
you should have no problem catching Muskie on quality spinning tackle.

Not our Ontario Musky unless you are using a saltwater spinning reel. I take that back, I caught a 5 pound Musky in upper NY State on spinning tackle. Anything in the mid 40's (inches) and you will probably spool it and or burn the drag on the reel out before you see the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.