Bass Tracker Rod Holders

DCWSR

Cadet
Hello, all. I just signed up on this site, and am looking for advice on rod holders. I just purchased a 1992 Bass Tracker Pro 17, and would like to see what you all would say to be the best holders, along with the mounting options on this boat. Thanks much.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are talking about rod holders to carry them when moving along/boating, I like the horizontal type that you slide the front of the rod into and lay the handle end in a similar opening on the other side. They stay put and allow you to remove them easily.

41B9Z-AJLlL._AC_US160_.jpg

51+n1VHQVoL._AC_US160_.jpg

I also like this type too.

If you are talking about rod holders for trolling, I will say the simplest holders are the best. Something so simple that you can easily retrieve any rod instantly when a fish is on. Some even make them from PVC. But there are so many, it is a personal choice. But I like simple designs for holders so I don't have to fight the rod to get it out of the holder when necessary.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
You need to clarify , are you talking about rod holders that you put your rods in while fishing or trolling or rod holders to hold your rods when not in use, storage?

DCWSR

Cadet
I am referring to fishing/trolling rod holders. Sorry, I'm apparently not savvy enough yet, to upload any pics of my boat.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We're trying to help but we need more info.

There are all kinds of rod holders out there and they're task specific. A rod holder for securing rods while underway and providing ease of access for bass fishing is very different from a rod holder for salmon fishing.

Here are a couple Google searches I did for rod holders.

https://www.google.com/search?q=199...h=418#tbm=isch&q=trolling+rod+holders&imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?q=rod...KEwivvO6e-frPAhUFPz4KHSb1BZEQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=_

Where are you fishing and what are you fishing for?

I got these pix from the 'net. Is your boat like this one?

boat009.jpg

The velcro style Rodsaver rod holders shown to the left of this seat are great for bass fishing. I had them on my Bass Tracker years ago. Nice to have multiple rods with different lures at the ready.
boat012.jpg

img_nQF7oho9dg.jpg

This guy looks like he's serious about trolling for crappie!
t250_kent5.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
We're trying to help but we need more info.

There are all kinds of rod holders out there and they're task specific. A rod holder for securing rods while underway and providing ease of access for bass fishing is very different from a rod holder for salmon fishing.

Here are a couple Google searches I did for rod holders.

https://www.google.com/search?q=199...h=418#tbm=isch&q=trolling+rod+holders&imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?q=rod...KEwivvO6e-frPAhUFPz4KHSb1BZEQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=_

Where are you fishing and what are you fishing for?

I got these pix from the 'net. Is your boat like this one?

The velcro style Rodsaver rod holders shown to the left of this seat are great for bass fishing. I had them on my Bass Tracker years ago. Nice to have multiple rods with different lures at the ready.

This guy looks like he's serious about trolling for crappie!

Yes I seen and even tried trolling with that many rods out before. BUT, if you troll over a tree, it gets seriously interesting if even on hangs up. :facepalm:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
We had a few different setups on the basstracker depending on what we were fishing for. we added a bracket to the bottom of the seats to mount a rod holder off each seat. we modified clamp-on units for the gunwales for just sitting while fishing for walleye or crappie or panfish. the steering wheel turned a bit worked as a rod-holder as well. for walleye trolling, we had a 2 x 8 board across the transom just in front of the motor held to the cleats with J-bolts and wing nuts that we had rod holders on. the rod holders were mounted out at 45 degrees and 90 degrees. 90% of the time, the rod was in the hand casting for bass in the shallows

ours was a 1984 Bass Tracker III. the storage holders were like the ones that GM280 has shown in post #3. we also added a bunch to the side of the console

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You can get Scotty rod holders for trolling for less than $25.00 each. Easy to mount and can be removed to store out of the way when not fishing. They articulate both horizontally and vertically. My StarCraft has 2 built in rod holders that also hold downriggers and I mounted 2 Scotty's flush into the gunnels giving me 4, which is plenty. I keep it simple. Yes there are beautiful stainless holders on a track that sure are more versatile but unless chartering I wouldn't make the big investment for the occasional weekend fishing trip. It's all about budget.

DCWSR

Cadet
Thanks, one and all, for your input on this question. Computer died, and I never got back on here. I'm back on the net, now, and have since sold the Tracker.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yah, life goes on and change happens.

Did you get a replacement boat?

DCWSR

Cadet
I sure did. I got a 24’ pontoon. Very fishable, but just right for the family. Thank you.

MRS

Commander
I just got a pontoon myself love it got six scotty mounts all around it. Can move pole holders where ever I need them plus a cutting board for bait cutting that fits into the scotty mounts so can move where needed. And a net holder bracket trying to get it dialed in for fishing and loving it.

DCWSR

Cadet
Sounds awesome. I don't have any holders, yet. My rails are square, and I'm still checking out options.

MRS

Commander
Mine are square also check out the Scotty mounts go on with two screws no drilling just slip right over the rail and do not move. Good luck with your pontoon.

MRS

Commander
This is what I have on mine.

Attachments

• photo303935.jpg
    photo303935.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I sure did. I got a 24’ pontoon. Very fishable, but just right for the family. Thank you.

A great boat for a family. I have had the pleasure of fishing from a big toon and it was like fishing from your family room/kitchen. It wasn't serious fishing but we had a blast and caught and cooked the fish right there on the toon. I think your family and you will love it. Congrats and above all be safe. If you haven't invest in inflatable PFD's for everyone and make a rule no PFD on no boat ride. I feel naked on the water without having my inflatable on.