Kicker motor

Bkok33

Seaman
I have a 19 foot open bow Bayliner and I am wanting to buy a kicker motor. I have a friend that is letting me use a Minn Kota 55 thrust motor but just doesn't have enough power for me. Plus don't like how fast it drains my batteries. So what do you guys use and would you recommend?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
It depends on what you want to spend.

If your looking at new kickers a 9.9 Suzuki is the only one with electronic fuel injection,...( last I knew anyway)

All of the manufactures make nice new stuff though,..

If you looking used the Yamaha T8 is a great little kicker,..

The late 90's through about 03 or 04 Mercury 9.9's had a Yamaha power head and are great little kickers,...

If looking used look for a 4 stroke,....

Bkok33

Seaman
Thank you your response, I am looking used I have used a older Merc 5 which I will really liked. I am thinking I want between a 5 and 9.9. I will look into the Yahama and the years of the merc.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Yamahas are the best for trolling, most of the others work well, it's just that the Yamaha out-does them a little in each category. Some people complain the Suzuki makes an odd noise at certian RPMs, this can become an issue when trolling for long periods of time. Hondas and Mercs can have a very touchy throttle just off idle, so speed control can be difficult, you end up going too slow or too fast. The Merc may vibrate a bit more too.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
What type of fishing do you plan on doing? If you are going to stealthily fish Bass or Walleye following weedlines and contours electric is the way to go. There are 100 pound and greater thrust electrics available in 24 and 36 volt that will move that boat all day long, and more. If you are longline trolling on big water then a 9.9 will be your choice. With a 9.9 you also have a back up motor in case of a break down. If you go 24 or 36 volt elec. it should get you back to shore as well, again depending how far. I brought my 19 foot StarCraft back in with my 24V 65 LB thrust Motorguide once before I bought my 15HP Mariner kicker. That kicker was the best investment for the boat I ever made, saves me big money and the strain on my 115 2 stroke.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not one of you guys with the big fancy modern boat and motor, not that there is anything wrong with that.I just run a 16ft Seaswirl witha 40hp Evinrude for getting around and for a kicker I have a 57 5.5 Fisherman that I acquired for $50 .It's probably the best motor I own except for a couple of 18s. It will idle along at about 900rpm and move me at about 0.75 mph.Plus I can hardly hear it.It will be with me till I die as it will surely outlast me. Coclusion: Get yourself a little kicker.