How to slow troll an I/O ?

fishrdan

Admiral
Out of curiosity, how does it behave in reverse? I am thinking about a trolling plate for my pontoon.

With the plate all the way down it backs up poorly, over steering and over correcting... With my boat/prop/plate combo, the boat will crawl up to a dock if the plate is full down, just hope there isn't any breeze or current as the boat control is almost non existent.

That's the main reason why I made the metal cable lanyard I mentioned, the lanyard holds the plate up about 30 degrees off full down and allows the prop more clean water. It makes backing up easier and brings the trolling speed up off a dead crawl. The lanyard clips to the swim platform's back edge (then down to the center of the plate) so the lanyard wouldn't work unless you have a stout swim platform over the prop...

I bought the Troll-a-Matic so I didn't have to worry about raising the plate before throttling up/planing, but the disadvantage is it's always trying to go down. Manual (or locking) plates can be bent if you forget to raise them before planing, but once raised the boat's handling is normal. Advantages and disadvantages to both types.

fishrdan

Admiral
So far even with a bit of wind and chop no problem with course control, able to follow contours same as with out the plate.

Once you get the idle issue straightened out (other thread) and the boat slowed down, I wouldn't doubt if you loose some boat control. If I bump the RPM to 1000-1200, the boat handles much better than at 700. But, I'm not catching as many fish trolling at 1200RPM... LOL

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I do not like using drift socks, control is an issue especially in windy cnditions. Try a trolling plate, if that doesn't get you slow enough I would get myself a kicker. We work on boats here and the biggest complaint we get from guys with carbureted I/O's and some higher HP outboards is trolling speeds are too high. Sometimes a trolling plate does it. In my non scientific opinion I don't like to see higher HP outboards or I/O's run at idle speed for long periods of time. Carbon fouling is an issue when trolling at low speeds in my opinion.

putback

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yep I agree, long term idling can be a problem and mine runs fairly cool, 165 degrees. I'll have to deal with it. 1st I/O and must say I like it. Expect I'll use this setup this season its a good cheap boat to learn with and learn what I want in a better rig. This works well now. Have the trolling plate, works fine, got her idling smooth at 800 and can get down to just over 1mph by GPS, lets me slither flutter spoons on bottom just like Lakers prefer. The next one will be a keeper, I expect I'll go with another small cubic inch I/O and a kicker. Roughly what year do you begin to see fuel injected small cube I/Os?