what motor for boat fishing

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
looking at just cruising slow along the shore lines, my deep v boat is kinda big at 21 foot. not sure an electric will do to good, on the lake I will be mainly fishing their is alot of wake from other boat trafic and can get windy. would a newer small four stroke outboard do the trick. Or would it spook nearby fish?

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Look for something in the 8-10 hp range. Definitely gas. No it won't spook any fish.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
9.9 four stroke IMHO... Yes, it will spook fish, but not salmon close in and not anything you'll be fishing for unless you only use 6' of fishing line!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There are 100 pound plus thrust 36 and 48 volt electrics that will pull that boat with ease. Deep water trolling and a kicker is king for me. But for shore line trolling electrics is my choice. There is virtually no noise. Even a 4 stroke kicker in shallow water sounds like a freight train underwater to me.

acrews

Recruit
My husband and I have a 1983 Mercury 7.5 2 stroke on our 14' jon boat. With my husband, daughter, and I, the boat moves pretty good. Sure beats a 35 lb thrust trolling motor.

We have a 55 lb thrust motor that moves the boat with no problem.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
if its dead calm and no current... a 30 lb troller will move it.

Add significant wind + current and you might need 10+ hp to stay in one spot relative to the bank.

There is no single best answer. But 80 lb troller or appx 5 hp "kicker" would be typical for that size bass boat.
for trolling.

Bigger for getting to the spot

The prop stirring up sediment can sometimes attract fish....

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
14' with a 7-10HP to get ya' there ... oars in the locks if ya' wanna' go "stealth" :nerd:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Being that your boat is a cuddy, I would go with a gas kicker..... 4 Stroke would be great...... Did you purchase anything yet?

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Being that your boat is a cuddy, I would go with a gas kicker..... 4 Stroke would be great...... Did you purchase anything yet?

I did 9.8 tohatsu electronic start, so u could charge batterys in the middle of the night. Figured why waste battery juice with a large electric motor. When I could get something that would charge my batteries, then I'd never have to worry about loosing power away from shore, well hopefully. ...