Baitcaster star drag R/L retrieve

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought a L/H retrieve baitcaster to match one of my right handers. Gonna try this not switching hands thing. Anyway.... To tighten the drag on the right hander you turn the star clockwise towards the front of the real. On the left retrieve you turn the star counterclockwise to tighten the drag... Which makes sense.. because you are still turning it towards the front of the reel to tighten it. Here's the part I DON'T get ... Tightening the drag on the right hander screws the star closer to the reel body.. On the lefty tightening the drag turns the star closer to the HANDLE! How the heck can this work if the internal drag parts work the same way?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Maybe the drag components are still on the right side of the reel and when tightening from the left, the star is pulling them together instead of pushing them closer together as it would be when tightening from the right side? :noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
S.A. when you bought that reel, didn't you get a explode view of the reel in the instructions? I do on most reels so you can buy parts if needed. :noidea:

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah I got a tiny exploded parts drawing I can 't even decipher with a magnifying glass! And some warranty papers in 47 different languages! Why can't you get a decent owners manual anymore like you used to ? I would assume the drag stack would have to be in the handle side just like a right hander. No big deal...Just trying to wrap my engineering mind around the difference! Don't want to tear a brand new reel apart just to satisfy my curiosity!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I got a tiny exploded parts drawing I can 't even decipher with a magnifying glass! And some warranty papers in 47 different languages! Why can't you get a decent owners manual anymore like you used to ? I would assume the drag stack would have to be in the handle side just like a right hander. No big deal...Just trying to wrap my engineering mind around the difference! Don't want to tear a brand new reel apart just to satisfy my curiosity!

Oh that is the exact reason to take things apart. I use to do that with so many things when I was younger. And sometimes I even managed to reassembled them again and they worked. Yea I was amazed too.

You should be able to go to the reel's manufacturer's website, type in your model number and down load an exploded view easily. I usually do that with just about everything I buy anymore. So if down the road I need to see how it is built I can get parts. JMHO!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
The parts all look the same. And exploded views don 't mention right or left hand threaded screws.... Which is kinda what I was thinkng.... but in theory that don 't jive either !