Ultralight Musky tackle?

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well...an update on the Musky trip!... We didn't catch any ! But got some big pike and lots of smallies. Of course the week before we got there my new buddy the resort guide :)...and a couple of his friends landed 10! Then it just turned off! Most of the Muskie fishing was 10 pm to 3 am! Full moon the week before we got there. And I upgraded to a 6600 ambassaduer and a heavy rod with 50 lb braid. Man I got worn out slinging that thing.... But never even had a birdsnest all week! Great reel! We still had a great time and even stayed longer than planned! Already booked for next year. Oh....I did have one take a nip at a big Mepps Muskie killer right at the boat but he missed and then just layed there staring at me! Nothing would further entice him! Just swam away! Still great fun and exercise!

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Glad you had a great time! Sometimes just seeing a muskie follow a lure to the boat is a good day....

Did you do wide figure 8s to try and get him to bite?

Last edited:

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep!... That and repeated casts in the area using different lures! Just an off week but really a blast! Didn't much want to come home! I love it up there! Our cabin was right on the waters edge and we were the only ones booked that week! Talk about peacefull! Only 49 weeks and we'll be back! Crap!.....that's a long wait.:(