Ultralight Musky tackle?

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
All righty then!.... Couldn't stand it any longer ...reservations are made for a week long Musky trip. Have caught them before incidentally...but nothing over 26-28". Here's the issue... The heaviest tackle I have is a 7' Peregrine med action casting rod, with my old Ambassaduer 5500c spooled with 12 lb. Stren. Ain't enough firepower is it? The Musky lure collecting has already started...and most all of them are over the max lure weight my rod is designed for. Will mostly be throwing Mepps and big Rapalas. Fish over 50" are not uncommon where we are headed. Last time I fished this lake was 1962... before it even had any Muskies in it! Any tackle suggestions for starters? On a Soc. Sec. budget? This stuff is expensive !

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I've got a couple of cheap Southbend med/heavy rods with cheap Shakespeare baitcasters I bought for guests in my boat,..Spooled with 80 pound power-pro,..

I've never thrown really big musky stuff with them, But they work great for medium size bucktails, Which is my favorite musky presentation,..

The cheap stuff isn't as nice as my St.Croixs with Abu 6500's, But they do the job,...

I've fished for muskies a couple of times. I really like throwing big bass swimbaits(which are ultralight for musky lol) I throw on braid with a 65lb test Floro leader. I also use a mh 7 ft rod with a revo reel. My set up is kinda undersized but I bass fish and I refuse to buy heavier tackle. I like the bullshad and live target blue herring swimbaits. Hope that helps.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya...I was thinking of just upgrading to a med/heavy 7ft rod, and respooling the Ambassaduer with 16 lb . Stren Magnathin. OR....seeing as how I never catch any big fish....just use what I got. The wife is the one that always catches the big ones! Now SHE's talking about a new setup for gators! And most likely she'll be the one to land one! Fine with me! This last season she got an 8lb 4 oz largemouth, not far off the state record! My biggest was maybe 2! She also had many in the 3-5 lb range. But she has a good guide!

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
In my opinion for what it's worth....Go buy a $29.95 one piece 6'6" Ugly Stick put your 5500C on it with original STREN clear blue 20lb test....and your good to go.
I've used Ugly Sticks for years, Musky,Pike,Walleyes,Bass and Salmon. I've used them for Casting,Trolling and Drifting. Check Craig's list maybe you can find a couple more 5500's priced right, and you could upgrade to a heavy action 7' or the $39.95 Ugly Sticks. In my years I've fished WI,MN,MI,TN and Fl extensively. When I go out fishin there is always a Ugly Stick in the boat.
BTW you can not have too many Ambassaduer bait casters
2qncdvc.jpg

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Or too many FISHIN poles
2lvobax.jpg

104lp9f.jpg
to many rods? I use more rods in my usual trolling spread ....lol

A 7', #18- #25, fast action rod with a 5500 or 6500 Abu would whip anything in the lake

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
glad to read our tax dollars are finally going to be well spent!!! :lol: Have a good/great trip!! and pictures please, when you return

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I started out with a 5500. I now mainly use a Abu Toro Revo Winch 60. My new one works great for big heavy crank baits, bucktails, and the double bladed bucktails like Cowgirls... I also have a 6500c4 which has a fairly fast retrieve. I use it for the smaller/lighter baits(6" or so). Fast is good with muskies. The 6500c4 is a good all around reel. Or, a Abu 7000c. It holds a lot of line and has a fast retrieve too. Not terribly expensive.

As far as line, I like braided(Cortland). I wouldn't go less than 30#. Most guys go higher. Don't forget, they're toothy gritters. There's a reason they nickname them 'gators... I also like single strand wire leaders, at least 50#.

Rods, med/heavy - heavy. 7' is good. Able to handle 2-4oz lures. Fast tip(mainly bends at the end of the rod). Makes it a lot easier to throw the bigger baits. Which you'll appreciate at the end of the day.

Musky fishing isn't cheap. You can easily spend $20 per lure. But, it is an addiction!

Check out this site, they cater to the Musky Hunter.... :)
http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/web/index.php/id/1

They'll give you a lot of good ideas, then you can search for the best pricing..... Hope this helps a little..... Be careful about getting bit by the Musky bug....... :)

BTW, the biggest northern I caught was on an ultralite, 16#s. It was a blast! So anything will work, but............................

Last edited:

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I couldn't find any ugly sticks set up to throw anything bigger than 3/4 oz lures, unless you go to thier big water series. Not a fan of those foam grips on rods either...I prefer cork! I don't plan on throwing lumber or those 20-30 dollar specialty lures either! Wife says why by a rod or outfit you will only use once? I said I figure we 'll just have to go up every year then ! Probably have over 50 rods and reel combinations...but just never needed the heavy stuff before !

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I like cork too. I think if you upgrade your reel to a 6500C4, or, a C7000 you'll be extremely happy. Keep in mind the 7000 is a much wider reel. I believe you can put 300yds of heavier test line on it. Get a med/hvy 7' rod with a fast tip, doesn't have to be a St Croix and go fishing. It won't cost a fortune either... JMO

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I like cork too. I think if you upgrade your reel to a 6500C4, or, a C7000 you'll be extremely happy. Keep in mind the 7000 is a much wider reel. I believe you can put 300yds of heavier test line on it. Get a med/hvy 7' rod with a fast tip, doesn't have to be a St Croix and go fishing. It won't cost a fortune either... JMO

Agree...When I caught the Muskie Addiction...My 1st reel/rod combo was a Ambassaduer 5000 on a 6' solid glass wonder rod, then on to a 6500 on a St Croix 6', had to have every lure combo I could see, FINALLY realized that all I needed was Mepps BUCKTAILS,Rapala's and Jigs with soft baits. When I left the Upper Midwest, got rid of everything except the rods and reels.....The addiction is hard to break! HA...If I ever go back up on a Musky fishin trip...I just get a couple of Ugly Sticks 6'6" med hvy and go for it!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If speed is import why recommend the 7000 series? Very slow......4:1 the 7500 is 5:3 and the 6500 mag elite can be upgraded to 6:1. If you want speed go to a spinning reel.

Don't need 1/2 mile of line to land any fish. Marlin included

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If speed is import why recommend the 7000 series? Very slow......4:1 the 7500 is 5:3 and the 6500 mag elite can be upgraded to 6:1. If you want speed go to a spinning reel.

Don't need 1/2 mile of line to land any fish. Marlin included

I'll talk to my brother. I'm pretty sure his is a 7000. What makes it pick up the line quick(especially when using jerk baits) is when the spool is full....... I've used it and it worked good. But let me verify... It wont be until tonite or tomorrow..... I know nothing about the 6500 mag elite. Maybe it's a bass reel. When you use heavy line you need higher capacity reels....

Last edited:

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do they even make the 6500 Ambassaduers anymore? I only see 3 Swedish made round reels in the catalogs anymore. Can't do the ebay thing...no paypal or credit cards! I DO prefer the older reels. My 5500c is a '78 model!

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Do they even make the 6500 Ambassaduers anymore? I only see 3 Swedish made round reels in the catalogs anymore. Can't do the ebay thing...no paypal or credit cards! I DO prefer the older reels. My 5500c is a '78 model!

Yes...just looked at Baxx Prx Shops and C@belas...$119.00

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes...I did see that one,it's a C3. 4600,5500,and 6500. Think I 'd like a lefty. All my spinning reels are left hand crank...and I switched my dad's old Century over to left hand. Just makes more sense to keep the rod in my right hand! Dad was left-handed,so he preferred right hand crank. Ahh....fishing tackle shopping... I love it! My wife is a fishing lure addict. She never gets out of a store without at least one new lure! She made out like a bandit on her birthday and Christmas...which is only a week apart! Had to buy another tackle box! HA!...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That's unfortunate because you can still buy Swedish built reels. Just not a big box stores. Your better tackle shops should be able to get them for you