Great Lakes Musky Surprise Catch

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
This past September my wife and 3 of my grandkids went out to my usual port on Lk Huron to do some trolling. Fall is a great time to capitalize on steelhead so we set various lines, 4 downriggers of staggered depths, a couple wire divers, and ran 75, 150, and 200 copper rigs. We were having a good day boxing several steelhead and a fat lake trout. We had a good rip on a 200 copper and I handed the rod off to my grandson to fight it. After an intense battle we landed this 20+ lb Great Lakes Musky. After a couple of quick pics we released him to swim again.

This was a very rare catch as we were approx 5 - 6 miles offshore fishing over 100' of water. The fish was caught on the 200' copper which put the lure depth approximately 32' down, caught on a standard size Flintstone Monkey **** 55 spoon. Very strange to find a musky out that far and deep.

This is the rest of the catch for the day, 7 steelhead and 1 lake trout.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats

Looks like a great haul on a great day.

Impressive muskie

Dont forget to stay in touch for the SOTY 2015

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WNW, if you are like me, I would rather see my wife and/or grandkids catch a fish then myself. Any time you can take grandkids out to fish and then have a great time, long lasting memories are formed. :thumb:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks JB, and yes got the eye on SOTY.

GM - without a doubt it is a wonderful time to be able to spend with the grandchildren and show them the outdoors. It was the first trip for the younger one (7y/o) and with the help of her brother she was able to reel in a couple fish too. She was so thrilled.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Great catch! It must have been suspended and tagging along with a bait school

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks JB, and yes got the eye on SOTY.

GM - without a doubt it is a wonderful time to be able to spend with the grandchildren and show them the outdoors. It was the first trip for the younger one (7y/o) and with the help of her brother she was able to reel in a couple fish too. She was so thrilled.

WNW, WOW that fish is almost as big as she is. That must have been a very excited time. :thumb:

You do realize that she will remember that forever. :first:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
WnW - The Lean, Mean Fishing Machine is turning the Grandkids into Lean, Mean Fishing Machines. With a little help from you maybe? :watermelon:

You can't beat nice days on the water when the fish are on the bite and the kids haul 'em in! :thumb:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Nice looking 'Lunge. The depth wasn't surprising. Maybe there's some structure in the area? Looks like everyone had a great day with some bonus fish..... For me, getting out fishing is a great day. Catching some is a just a bonus... Miles of smiles.......:)

Did you ever measure it?

Last edited:

MRS

Commander
Fantastic our grandkids moved to Texas would take them boating and fishing really miss them. Made me smile to see your joy keep it up Grandpa....