Help! Job prospect in Albany, NY - will I find fishing there?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
In my part of Texas I have a dozen or more reservoirs within a 2-hour drive, ranging from 7000 to 90,000 acres -- so much water, so little time. If I pursue this position in Albany, my research shows a bunch of lakes from 5 acres to a couple hundred, most of which don't even allow motorboats.

Anybody in the area can give me some insight, I would surely appreciated it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jtexas, having never lived there, I can only suggest you search the area before making up your own mind. However, you will have to get use to SNOW. That part I do know all about because of living in North Eastern Pennsylvania while I was young... Maybe you could ice fish... :noidea:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My daughter lives on the Hudson outside Albany.

Reservoirs are not common in the Northeast. Most fishing is done in lakes, rivers and streams. If you really want to fish big water, it's only 3 hours to the coast

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
You'll be right on the Hudson. Couple hours you can be in the Adirondacks. (Lots of lakes there. Probably 1/2 hr more you can be on Lake Ontario with probably the best salomid fishery around.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Bondo

Staff member
(Lots of lakes there. Probably 1/2 hr more you can be on Lake Ontario with probably the best salomid fishery around.

Ayuh,.... More like 2 hours to Oswego, 3 hours up here to Watertown/ Henderson Harbor,....

Just west of Albany is the Sacandaga lake, a big impoundment that holds several state records for caught fish,....
The Hudson is fishable with sea run strippers, 'n other fish,...

Lots, 'n lotsa great fishin' within a hour or two,....