New to Downriggers

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started using downriggers on my boat last week. I've fished with them on other boats but have never had the experience like I'm having with my own.
I was dragging fish around with no clue that they were even on my line. When I pulled the pole out of the release, it was apparent that I had a fish on, but no indication with it in the release on the downrigger ball. What am I doing wrong????

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
If your release's are adjustable they are to tight. You need just enough pressure on the release to hold the line and pull from the lure. If they are set up right you will have a release from time to time without a fish on.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
If you're using a Black's type release then loosen the tension screw. If your using a pinch-pad type release then don't put you line so deep in the pads.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Not sure what you are fishing for but you may want to try the Big Jon Band Busters. I have been using them for many a years. Pretty simple, using size 16 rubberbands half hitch the band on your line snug then slip the loop on the hook of the Band Buster, lower the ball and adjust for your preferred rod tension. For fish like walleye I use one band and for steelhead, salmon, lake trout I will double up on the bands especially if running them deeper than 50'. Keep eye on rods as small fish or lazy fish (like walleye or lakers) will just swim along. You will see the rod dip or pulse occasionally if you are dragging a fish along. A solid striking fish will break the bands easily. Good luck.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the responses. I'm headed out again this weekend. I'll see if I can fine tune the releases I have and if I can't....I think I'll find some band busters and try the rubber band method. Thanks again!!!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'll see if I can fine tune the releases I have and if I can't....I think I'll find some band busters and try the rubber band method. Thanks again!!!!
Fine tuning your existing release is the way to go.

While they work, rubber bands are problematic. You can't fine tune except by changing band strengths, releases are inconsistent and they have a tendency to slip on the line.

I used rubber bands for years on my planer boards. They worked OK except for the problems noted above. Now, only use them as backup should all my Scotty clips end up out on the boards.

I'm not a fan of the Black's clips on my downriggers. Too many false releases for my liking. My switch to Scotty clips there as well.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I use scotty releases most of the time, for faster and deeper trolling Offshore's work well. For better identification of a bite, even from a small fish, use a longer leash between the ball and/or cable and the clip. Mine are 4 to 6' long deepending on the length of the boom. Switching to braid will also help in telegraphing the bite to the rod tip.

sam am I

Commander
Not sure what you are fishing for but you may want to try the Big Jon Band Busters. I have been using them for many a years. Pretty simple, using size 16 rubberbands half hitch the band on your line snug then slip the loop on the hook of the Band Buster, lower the ball and adjust for your preferred rod tension. For fish like walleye I use one band and for steelhead, salmon, lake trout I will double up on the bands especially if running them deeper than 50'. Keep eye on rods as small fish or lazy fish (like walleye or lakers) will just swim along. You will see the rod dip or pulse occasionally if you are dragging a fish along. A solid striking fish will break the bands easily. Good luck.

WW,

Do you use Big Jon downrigger's as well?

puddle jumper

Captain
I use Scotty line clips also. You may also need to go to a lighter rod if you can't tell if fish are on. How big are the fish you are targeting

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trolling for Macks, but they are few and far between. Splake or rainbow show up more often on the end of the line than the Macks for sure. The couple of bows and tiger I caught were pretty puny so.......maybe it wasn't enough fish to even show up dragging behind an 8lb. ball I guess.
Family problems kept me from going out the last couple of weekends so I'll keep fine tuning the set up. I'll run some extra cable behind the ball and see if that helps before I change up releases. Again, thanks for the help and ideas. If anybody has any more, it would be appreciated.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use Chamberlain releases. They have two tensions that you can adjust. First is the adjustment for the line from the rod to the line and you can tighten it down really good. Then it has a magnetic release so a really light pull by a fish will trigger the release. Since we switched to the Chamberlain releases we have not had a problem with dragging around a small fish.