2007 Yamaha F225 overtemp just off of idle and now on idle

davepjr71

Cadet
I haven't had this issue for a few years. I had some work done over the winter. Guy replaced the entire water pump and my thermostats. First time I took the boat out the overtemp alarm came on just off of idle. I shut the engine off and restart and as long as I'm at idle or over 800-900 rpm no alarm. This happened on 3 trips. My last trip out the alarm started coming on at idle. It looked like the water flow was lower than usual. However, after running a little it seemed normal but the alarm was still coming on. It doesn't look like the poppet is spitting out water but hasn't been changed in a few years. The mechanic has stated he thinks it's either the poppet or the water pump he installed. Should I pull the lower unit off and see if the water pump is seated right? Temps are getting to the 185 mark and activating the sensor. Not again that I had the problem in the past, replaced some parts and it went away and it's back again after the same parts are replaced. Can any of you give your input on what the problem could be? Thank you.

Last edited: