96 Suzuki 55hp Timing need help!

AGUILERA2000

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have a little bit of a problem, the nut holding the flywheel came of on my motor and the flywheel lifted out of place while the motor was idling, i gently pushed the flywheel back down into place and put the nut back on, now the motor wont start, everyone i told them says my motor is out of time, can anyone please tell me how to reset the flywheel on so the timing is right again? is it a very difficult job? I would like to do it myself because the motor is on a pontoon and I have no trailer for it plus there is no way to get the pontoon to the lake access without a running motor in the first place, thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
flywheel should be keyed to the crankshaft

it could have wiped out some electrical components under the flywheel when it came loose

AGUILERA2000

Seaman Apprentice

it could have wiped out some electrical components under the flywheel when it came loose

it looks like someone forgot to install the smaller bolts that hold the flywheel, it was only the one nut on top of it holding it down, I have not taken the flywheel all the way off to look under it since i am concerned I may not be able to put it back together...

AGUILERA2000

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I understand the "keyed" part now, yes it is keyed and that is where the problem is, the "key" broke in half allowing the flywheel to spin freely from the shaft, everything inside looks fine no apparent damage, tomorrow I will buy a new key and see how it goes,,, thanks for the reply helped a lot...