Yamaha outboard gear slippage

SouthCarolina1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello I need some help and couldn't find it online so I am turning to y'all for help.

So I have a 1997 115HP Yamaha model S115TL, on 171 Mako with a SS prop. When I take sharp turns the motor will rev high and then pop out of gear, or slip out of gear into neutral. It happens every time, when I take a sharp turn the motor will rev high and then go into neutral (sometimes I can throttle down and straighten up preventing the motor from slipping out of gear). I can immediately put my shifter in neutral, then put it back into gear and throttle back up like nothing happened. When I take a sharp turn its not a reckless sharp turn, its not a huge issue because it does that I rarely turn hard.

I would like to turn my boat hard but I am worried that it is a problem that could haunt me later down the road. I recently had the water impeller replaced as well as gear oil and it still does it. Anybody have a solution?

IMG_5711.jpg IMG_5710.jpg IMG_5705.jpg IMG_5708.jpg IMG_5709.jpg IMG_5706.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your motor might a little high. As you turn and the boat heels over, the prop could be starting to come out of the water causing the higher revs. Trimming the motor helps too.

SouthCarolina1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will try that this weekend. I can move the motor down one set of holes, about an inch lower. I might end up doing that.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
as I have said on other sites, but you did not like what I said apparently, mark the hub and prop to see if it is slipping.
lower units should not slip out of gear