DF115 Power Tilt Trim Parts

gecko454

Cadet
I have a 2003 DF115 PTT that has stopped working. The motor runs in both directions but will only partially raise the motor (maybe to the point where the tilt normally takes over) then it bleeds off and the motor drops. There are no visible signs of external leaks so I'm thinking it is leaking somewhere internally?

Based on my limited understanding of how the system works my theory is that one of the following items is malfunctioning...

Manual Release Valve
Up Check Valve
Impact Relief Valve
Up Relief Valve
Expansion Relief Valve
Piston O-rings
weak or failing pump

Given how hard the PTT is to remove I would ideally like to replace/rebuild all the above parts. I have done a lot of searching both on the Suzuki site and other sites for parts but have not had any luck. I believe the PTT, although a Suzuki part, is manufactured by Showa but am still trying to find a Showa part number so I can search for Showa parts (if they're even available). Has anyone had any luck going this route or am I wasting my time?

In the meantime I have started dismantling the PTT unit in hopes of finding any visual signs of what may be causing the problem. Here's what I've found so far...

The o-rings on the manual release valve had visible damage so I replaced them with o-rings I received from a local hydraulics shop. Results: no change in PTT function. BTW, when on the bench the unit seems to function normal but when mounted on the transom/boat and is under load (weight of motor) the problems appear.

There is another valve that is next to the manual release valve (can't figure out what it is based on the Suzuki parts diagram) that has a ball that appears jammed. (see attached picture)

I know the topic of PTTs has been discussed many time but I'm unable to find a post that has a PTT that has failed the same as mine. I will continue to search and post my results here in the hopes of helping someone else in the future. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo220429.jpg
    photo220429.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 7
  • photo220430.jpg
    photo220430.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo220431.jpg
    photo220431.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 7

caga

Cadet
Maybe the problem is an internal leak in the cylinder rather than the pump, the piston O-rings. If you have a source of compressed air, you can disconnect the cylinder from the pump and blow air using a soft tipped nozzle into the port of your cylinder, if anything comes out from the other side the o-ring on the piston head is gone. That will be an easy fix if you can open it.

gecko454

Cadet
No Title

Thanks for the tip caga,

I removed the pump from the cylinder and it appears there are 4 ports, of which only two seem functional? I attached a picture and labeled the two ports A and B. When I blow air from port B to port A I feel air pressure coming out port A even after the piston rod has stopped moving. Strangely when I blow air from port A to port B, other then the initial air being released from movement of the piston, I don't feel any air leaking on port B. Does this make sense? Based on these findings I'm guessing the next step should be to dismantle the cylinder and inspect/replace the piston O-rings?

Attachments

• photo220553.jpg
    photo220553.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 3

gecko454

Cadet
No Title

I also found a diagram of a Single Ram PTT System and it looks like the valve next to the manual release valve is a 2-way valve? Still seems strange to me that the ball on that valve doesn't move?

Attachments

• photo220558.jpg
    photo220558.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 8

gecko454

Cadet
How do you remove the tilt rod on these single ram PTT units? It appears they aren't designed to be taken apart unless you have a specialty tool. I did search for such a tool but haven't had any luck.

I know Suzuki doesn't sell replacement parts for this unit but I had no idea they designed it so you can't even replace the internal 0-rings. If this is in-fact true I will never buy another Suzuki product again. My motor is probably only worth 4k so replacing the PTT for 2k isn't an option.

Any ideas or do I toss this whole thing in the garbage and start over?

Last edited:

gecko454

Cadet
No Title

I've looked but can find a tool to remove the cylinder from the hosing so my best guess is that I will need to make one. I'm thinking either a wrench or a large socket. I attached a picture of the area that needs to be turned or held. Sure would be nice if Suzuki/Showa would offer some help.

Attachments

• photo220706.jpg
    photo220706.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 4

Scottglen

Recruit
I have a 2003 DF115 PTT that has stopped working. The motor runs in both directions but will only partially raise the motor (maybe to the point where the tilt normally takes over) then it bleeds off and the motor drops. There are no visible signs of external leaks so I'm thinking it is leaking somewhere internally?

Based on my limited understanding of how the system works my theory is that one of the following items is malfunctioning...

Manual Release Valve
Up Check Valve
Impact Relief Valve
Up Relief Valve
Expansion Relief Valve
Piston O-rings
weak or failing pump

Given how hard the PTT is to remove I would ideally like to replace/rebuild all the above parts. I have done a lot of searching both on the Suzuki site and other sites for parts but have not had any luck. I believe the PTT, although a Suzuki part, is manufactured by Showa but am still trying to find a Showa part number so I can search for Showa parts (if they're even available). Has anyone had any luck going this route or am I wasting my time?

In the meantime I have started dismantling the PTT unit in hopes of finding any visual signs of what may be causing the problem. Here's what I've found so far...

The o-rings on the manual release valve had visible damage so I replaced them with o-rings I received from a local hydraulics shop. Results: no change in PTT function. BTW, when on the bench the unit seems to function normal but when mounted on the transom/boat and is under load (weight of motor) the problems appear.

There is another valve that is next to the manual release valve (can't figure out what it is based on the Suzuki parts diagram) that has a ball that appears jammed. (see attached picture)

I know the topic of PTTs has been discussed many time but I'm unable to find a post that has a PTT that has failed the same as mine. I will continue to search and post my results here in the hopes of helping someone else in the future. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help, thanks in advance.
Hello...I know this post is old now! But did you manage to get any parts for the unit? I’m trying to source a replacement 2 way valve for Suzuki tilt trim unit and your post came up in a Google search. Cheers