propeller continue to turn in neutral

bob.b

Recruit
I change the water pump in my Suzuki 85 horse 1997or98 out board I took the bolt off the side of motor push the pin to release the shift
and then drop the foot pull the gear shift and shaft down proceeded to change the water pump after I finish changing the water pump
I put all back together then push the shift and shaft back into place then pull the pin out and put the back on about two months later I stared
the motor it stared but the propeller continue to run, I also put a new propeller on the foot Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard bob.b :welcome: we like new boaters to join us,,,

Sounds like while you think you didn't disturb the shifter section, it sounds like you have gotten the lower section out of neutral setup. With engine OFF, when you have the shifter in the neutral position can you spin the prop ether direction fairly easily? If so then you don't have any issue. However, if you can't then it needs adjusted for neutral via the shift rod...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Bob.

If the shift is in neutral and the prop spins freely with the engine off, as gm280 said above, you have no problem. The drive shaft gear causes currents in the lower unit oil which makes the prop turn slowly. It's not really spinning, just kind of lazily turning.

If it's really spinning, maybe the shift shaft got misaligned during the lower unit reinstall.