1988' v130 limp mode? maybe?

gdpalumbo

Seaman
hello,
I have a 1988 yamaha v130. This past season it was kind of acting up but not all the time. Most of the time when I go out for my tournaments, the motor will start great and idle great every time. After I've started it for the first time of the morning, when I go to take off the boat won't get up and go like it should, it gets on plane very very slowly and once on plane won't get to top speed . Eventually it will seem to "clean out" and kick in and have no problem reaching top speed at WOT. It has done this almost every time I took it out this past year. Also, sometimes when I'm at WOT, the boat will buck and sometimes it will just die down slowly to a crawl and stay running, it will just run at a low rpm and won't gain rpm no matter how much throttle I give it. I have changed all the fuel lines and took out water separated as I use all my fuel every tournament. The carbs haven't been cleaned or rebuilt since I've had the boat in the last five years. When it runs it runs great. The service manual (seloc) I have doesn't say anything about what puts the engine into limp mode if it even is in limp mode. I've checked all the resistance values on the CDI module and they are good. I don't think its a cdi issue but who knows. if anyone has any input I would much appreciate it as the next step is the boat mechanic. Thanks

gdpalumbo

Seaman
what puts the motor into limp mode? I have heard it is only a few things, are these symptoms not in line with what limp mode will do? I have heard the limp mode will put the engine into a low rpm running condition. I would also like to add that every time the boat does bog down and stay running, it will rev right up with no problem in nuetral but the minute I put it in gear it will not rev past a certain RPM