fuel flow issue

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a 1996 Yamaha 115. on a 17 mako. fuel was in the internal tank and had been sitting several months. I replaced the fuel/water separator and inline filter. I did not replace the internal filter on the engine. I had problems getting the primer pumped, but was finally able too. I took the boat out, it started right up and ran smooth. After running at high RPMs for several minuted, the primer ball collapsed. I was able to inflate, and head back in at a slow speed. I docked, and attempted to restart a few minutes later. It would not turn over. It was suggested my intake line in the gas tank may be clogged. It was. I cleaned it out, and attempted to restart the engine. It still will not turn over. Any thoughts or suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
I just purchased a 1996 Yamaha 115. on a 17 mako. fuel was in the internal tank and had been sitting several months. I replaced the fuel/water separator and inline filter. I did not replace the internal filter on the engine. I had problems getting the primer pumped, but was finally able too. I took the boat out, it started right up and ran smooth. After running at high RPMs for several minuted, the primer ball collapsed. I was able to inflate, and head back in at a slow speed. I docked, and attempted to restart a few minutes later. It would not turn over. It was suggested my intake line in the gas tank may be clogged. It was. I cleaned it out, and attempted to restart the engine. It still will not turn over. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sounds like you have two problems here, running out of fuel and will not turn over. Need it to turn over before we can get to the fuel issue. You turn the key to start and what do you get, a click, starter engines but does not turn over the engine?

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
If you mean running out of fuel from the tank, no, I have a full tank. The engine turns over, but will not start, as if it is starved for fuel.

alldodge

Staff member
If you mean running out of fuel from the tank, no, I have a full tank. The engine turns over, but will not start, as if it is starved for fuel.

OK, then it does turn over it just won't start. Do you have an engine serial number (carb or EFI)?

Remove the fuel line where it connects to the engine and squeeze the fuel bulb to see if fuel comes out.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
think about it If there was plugging then the tank lines and whole fuel system needs cleaning

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
Alldodge and 99, the engine is a carb. 115 hp 1996, serial #325683. I will disconnect the fuel line tomorrow and see if gas comes out.

If the primer gets hard, isnt gas getting into the engine? I put a new inline and fuel/water seperator on, Could they be clogged?

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
I found the problem. The automatic choke was not working. I engaged the choke on the engine and it started right up. I tested the switch it self and it appears to be working. Could it be my choke solenoid, or a fuse??

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
would the auto choke be on a fuse line. It is attached to the ignition key and that works fine. My only other thought is the solenoid is bad.

The fuse bar is difficult to get to, and the wiring is a mess.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
is the wire to the choke solenoid that hard to get to with a meter to see if it is getting voltage?

and it is not automatic if you have to push the key in or operate a switch to energize it

Last edited:

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
I did check the solenoid with a meter and it is fine. I have a switch which works fine on the meter, but not when plugged in. I by passed it, and pushing in the key seems to work. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.