tire storage for winter

daveski1964

Seaman Apprentice
I have boat winterized and motor fogged-my question is on best way to care for tires during winter storage--can I just jack up boat and set 4" cinder blocks under tires--or can I put cinder blocks under trailer axle--didn't know if putting cinder blocks under axel would cause axel to bend---so for now I have 4 cinder blocks under tires----what are your thoughts is this matter thanks for info----

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Sunshine is the enemy. The rubber will break down. You could either place a block or two under the spring to relieve the weight on the tire, some people block up the trailer frame, some just place a piece of wood under the wheel if not on a hard surface.

Yup, I would not want to risk bending the axle but where the leaf springs connect is strong and so is the trailer frame

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
You can always block it up at frame or axles close to springs and pull tires off and put them inside out of the weather,
It would be nice for the tires but some people do not have the room to store inside.

I wonder if this has anything to do with a Yamaha or a Suzuki outboard

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with others and will add, I don't like using cinder blocks because they can crack. If your going to use them put a 2x6 or 8 across the top of the block to distribute the weight

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am doing this now:
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx

I use jack stands and lower the pressure to 10PSI.

Don't use cinder blocks to raise the wheel/tire off the ground. Use wood or jack stands.
Also, not sure why you would put cinder blocks under the tires. What is the purpose of that?

Last edited:

daveski1964

Seaman Apprentice
i have boat storage in backyard on grass i thought it would be better to use 4" x 12" solid cinder blocks under tires i thought wood will soak up moisture found ground is why i thought using solid cinder blocks would be better than wood -i my just use cinder blocks with 2x6 running across them to hold axel

daveski1964

Seaman Apprentice
i went with pulling tires off and using jack stand under frame of trailer-put jack stand right in front of wheel wells and one at rear of boat so trailer front of trailer wouldn't rise up-does this sound ok???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
i went with pulling tires off and using jack stand under frame of trailer-put jack stand right in front of wheel wells and one at rear of boat so trailer front of trailer wouldn't rise up-does this sound ok???

Sounds fine. My jack stands are underneath the frame as well.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am doing this now:
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx

I use jack stands and lower the pressure to 10PSI.

Don't use cinder blocks to raise the wheel/tire off the ground. Use wood or jack stands.
Also, not sure why you would put cinder blocks under the tires. What is the purpose of that?

I put jack stands under my trailer and deflate tires to under twenty. I`ve seen really good results from not doing that.

bryanzzz

Seaman
To do it right, jack up and place jack stands on trailer frame, takes pressure off springs, bearings and tires. Go Yamaha?