Trust the mechanic?

smorrow

Cadet
I have a 1988 Prov150. Always runs peeeeeerrrfect.
Last week I went to the lake and like a dummy, put the drain plug in the wrong hole. The rear of the boat filled to the top covering all batteries, oil reservoir and gas tank.
I decided to run the boat after draining everything to see what would happen. The boat idles smooth and I can rev it up as high as I wish while in neutral. Problem is when I excelerate, it will not go above 2000 RPM's and 8 mph.

I have replaced the spark plugs, oil on side of engine and main reservoir and drained the gas tank and put in new gas. Still no luck.
I have squeezed the primer bulb and hit the choke switch while driving and no change. Compression is good. Overheat alarm works fine also.

The challenge I have is everything I have read on other forums points to something limiting the RPM's like the overheat alarm does, yet my mechanic, without looking at it says I need to rebuild the carbs and charge me 5-8 hours to "restore" it.

I am just throwing this out there to see our great forum can help.

Also, everything I have read.....no one ever says what fixed their problem. I will be sure to do so as to help the next person.

Thanks.

Sam

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's nice you told us what kind of boat you have. But that means nothing, you know. What motor is hangin' off the back? And did the motor end up in the water?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, more specifics please. I would also treat this with some urgency because motors and drives are not meant to have water inside of them. You don't want a cleanup job to turn in to a rebuild.

smorrow

Cadet
It's a Yamaha Prov150. The motor did not go in the water. Just the water in the back of the boat.
The boat doesn't matter, but to make peace...its a 1988 Champion Bass Boat.

Fun Times

Staff member
I have a 1988 Prov150.
Looks like he has a yamaha-pro-v-150g to me.
http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-pro-v-15...389/partslist/

Is he the only Yamaha-pro-v-150 shop in town? Diagnosing a problem is usually the first step to take vs just changing parts, etc.

^^^ we were posting at the same time!

Did you find water inside the fuel tank? Maybe the boats fuel tank vent or vent hoes is clogged with?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Sorry for the confusion on my part. It could also be a Suzuki in this forum.

smorrow

Cadet
I did not notice any water in the gas tank or the oil reservoir after I drained it.
Fun Times...I agree with diagnosing rather than throw parts at it. The guy is pretty much the only Yamaha guy in town. He is a 25 year master tech, and eventually he may be right, but I find it odd that the engine runs so good, except the inability to not go above 2000 RPM's. It sound more like a living issue to me. Yet the alarm works fine but does not go off for this issue. Hmmmm

GA_Boater

Have any fuel filters been changed? Some junk in the tank could have been stirred up and reduce fuel flow through a filter. Just an idea.