Starts and runs fine one day

shut it down, don't touch a thing and next time I try it

it won't start

jiggling things, moving levers, makes no difference

come back day later starts fine

maybe starts fine several different days then won't the next time

Not fuel, not kill switch or neutral switch, Once it starts runs fine

Driving me crazy!!

Have read similar forums tried all the obvious things!

Give me the right answer I'll send you a $50 Outback giftcard or similar!!

Jack

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Intermittent Starting Yamaha 115 hp V-4 2 stroke 1988

there are no cristal balls to help us and we cannot test from this side of a computer.
You will have to start testing things to see what is going on.

Is there spark when it will not start?

If no spark you can test the input voltages into the CDI and the outputs with the proper test equipment
Kill switch and key switch ground the out put of ignition to stop the spark.

corndoggie

Recruit
Re: Intermittent Starting Yamaha 115 hp V-4 2 stroke 1988

there are no cristal balls to help us and we cannot test from this side of a computer.
You will have to start testing things to see what is going on.

Is there spark when it will not start?

If no spark you can test the input voltages into the CDI and the outputs with the proper test equipment
Kill switch and key switch ground the out put of ignition to stop the spark.

Thanks for replying! I will try and check that but why would it get spark one day and not another and then get it back again without me doing anything different is what I can't understand.

lmeier11

Recruit
I have experienced the same problem with my 115 hp 2-stroke and searched for a solution for several years and see many others have had the same problem. Here is the solution from another person and it worked for me.
Not sure what your idea was for the motor starting problem but I have the same motor on my boat that had the same problem. What I did was installed an anti-siphon valve in the fuel line. It prevents the fuel from flowing out of the carbs over night. Yamaha part number 6R5-24408-00-00 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1995/P150TLRT/FUEL/parts.html (Number 15 on the schematic) Made a huge difference. Starts instantly. It is found on the 150 hp and up after the fuel filter. I just installed it in the fuel line going from the tank to the motor. Keep it as vertical as possible.​
Apparently the check valve in the squeeze bulb will not always hold and sucks fuel out of carbs. Also try the manual choke as sometimes the electric choke does not close completely.

Hope this helps.