Fuel priming Yamaha F70A

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I run my Yamaha F70A completely out of fuel by mistake is it a case of refuelling and pumping the primer bulb to restart the engine?

The motor is running fine. I don?t have any experience with the new fuel injected 4 strokes to know if there is a more involved priming procedure.

I have checked the owners manual but could not find anything on the subject.

I don't want to get caught out off shore.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel priming Yamaha F70A

running out of fuel is not the thing to do off shore or anywhere for that matter.

Read the electric motors on fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel running through them

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply 99yam40.

What you are saying is I'm likely to damage my fuel pump by running out of fuel so priming is the least of my problems.

I don't have a worshop manual as the motor is under warantee. I'm not a marine machanic so I prefer to leave it to a qualified person to maintain the motor.

If the pump was still working is it a complicated procedure to restart the engine?

I don't plan on running out of fuel but if it did happen I'd like to know how difficult it is to get going again. Is it possible to do on the water of does it need to be done in the workshop?

Thanks

TwoFish

Last edited:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

The entire fuel system is re-primed by pumping the primer ball until it is firm. Just like would have been done by the dealer when the motor was first installed.

Running out of fuel, while not a good thing to be doing, should not have harmed your electric fuel pump. The pump would have had a bit of fuel for lubrication as pressure was lost and the motor died.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your reply boscoe99,

That helps a lot.

I was out Tuna fishing last weekend and the main tank was getting low on the way back to the ramp. I wasn't sure how far to push it before changing to the auxiliary tank or what the consequences would be if I ran the motor dry. Now I know, I can make an informed decision in the future.

For the record we made it back on the main tank and caught 4 Tuna. A great day out on the water.

Cheers

TwoFish

Last edited: