1999 V200TLRX OX66 Yamaha Remote Oil feed tank pump test???

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice
Today my outboard gave me a low oil alarm and the motor lost power. My remote oil tank was full so I assume the sending unit(s) or pump has taken a puke. I tried the override switch on the motor by the smaller resevoir. It never pumped up so I was stuck idling back to the ramp.

I can't find my service manual at this time. I was hoping someone would tell me the diagnostic steps to test the sending units?
The oil feed pump should be straight forward to test with 12V.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 1999 V200TLRX OX66 Yamaha Remote Oil feed tank pump test???

Even if the float switch is bad, the manual override switch should fill the tank. Unplug the connector on the remote tank and check for voltage when you activate the switch.

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Even if the float switch is bad, the manual override switch should fill the tank. Unplug the connector on the remote tank and check for voltage when you activate the switch.

Thanks I will go check that and post results of what I find. Kind of makes me lean towards the pump base on what you just said. What about fusing? Should there be a fuse on the side of the engine under the cowl? thanks again, Mike

mcbassin

Seaman Apprentice

Here is what I found, I tried the manual override switch with the key on and I could hear the pump running (kind of loud in my opinion). So I ran it for a little while to see if it would fill the resevoir. The oil level did not go up. I unhooked the filler hose, no oil comming out while pumping. Next I took the tank out and drained all the oil. I took the inline screen out and blew it out with my air hose. It seems to be pumping normal now when I tested. My plan is to install a new screen tomorrow if I can get one locally.

Should I replace or take apart and clean the pump?

I'm wondering what this item is I found in the tank?:

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
  • oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0

lawcki

Cadet

It come off the oil level switch assembly. Nothing to worry about.