'94 90HP TLRS Power Pack Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterbill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I get a peak reading voltmeter, and I want to check the pulser coil, charge coil and crankshaft position indicator outputs to the YMIS CDI box, what is the right way to go about it? Do I tap in to each wire while connected to the power pack (with engine running) and go to ground with the other test lead? Or do I disconnect the harnesses and turn the engine over to get the voltaqes? Do Yamaha techs have an adapter they use to put in line with these connectors for testing? I just don't want to mess this up. Any advice will be appreciated. I forgot to ask how to hook up to the three output-to-spark plug coil wires also. Thank you.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: '94 90HP TLRS Power Pack Troubleshooting

Just curious, but what problems are you troubleshooting?...and why do you think they're electrical?.......

waterbill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '94 90HP TLRS Power Pack Troubleshooting

The #2 plug is not firing. Switched coil input leads around and found out coil is ok, just no power from the #2 wire from the power pack to the coil. My manual says that the pulser coil fires the #1 and #3 coils and the YMIS microcomputer in the power pack fires #2. I tested the power pack input leads for ohms, and everything is okay, per the manual specs. I cleaned up every ground connection I could find on the engine and tested and cleaned all the bullet connectors. Still no power or low power to the #2 coil input wire from the power pack. The only thing I didn't do is volt in and volt out tests, 'cause I don't have that DVA adapter for my voltmeter. The power pack is $580.

Status
Not open for further replies.