2004 Yamaha 150 hpdi Alarm and tach issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my 150 running with muffs on and the alarm started to buzz after 2 minutes running. Noticed low amount of water coming out so I cleaned the port and plenty of water comes out now. Alarm is still buzzing though. Both oil tanks are full. Any thoughts?

Maybe this has something to do with it or maybe not: Before cranking I installed a used analog non Yamaha tack, hooked the 3 wires and cranked it. The tach wont go past 100 and jumps around between 1-100 no matter where the throttle is positioned. Bad tack? bad connection?

do the two issues have something to do with each other?

Last week ran the motor on land and no problems at all, no tack was installed, no buzzer going off.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 2004 Yamaha 150 hpdi Alarm and tach issue

No relation and it's probably the overheat alarm. As for the tach, do you have the pole setting correct?

First time I've ever had a tach. Not sure what you are talking about. Ive got the three wires in the correct places.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

is this a new tach?
Should have come with instructions to set it properly for your motor.
Is the buzzer sounding as soon as you turn on key or after running motor for awhile?
You could unplug the wires to tach to see if buzzer quits, but should not have anything to do with each other unless you wired things up all wrong

Capt Ken

Commander

On the rear of the tach is a switch that changes the pole settings for the different engines. If yours doesn't have it then you have the wrong tach.

I bought the tach used, however it was used on an identical motor to what i have. There is adjustment for the poles, i just left it the way it was because the seller said it was an identical motor. Any idea what setting the poles should be on? The motor will run for about ten minutes and the alarm will begin to sound. When you turn the key off and turn it back on to ignition the alarm rings but if you let it sit for ten minutes it won't ring for another ten. This just started happening yesterday, never had the problem before.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If alarm come on when only at low RPMs then it could be a stuck open PRV dumping too much water and not letting the motor fill all of the way up with water. Which will not give any cooling to the top cylinders

What wires did you hook up to the tach?
Was a harness used?
Just not enough info from OP to even guess at the real problems

Last edited:

Capt Ken

Commander

The engine is overheating and the reason for the alarm. As for the tach, being its used there's a good posibility its a faulty unit.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The engine is overheating and the reason for the alarm. As for the tach, being its used there's a good posibility its a faulty unit.

Capt Ken
do the Hpdi motors take the tach signal from the lighting coil or the ECU?
This may be his problem if he it hooking up to the green wire from the controls

Capt Ken

Commander

I'm actually thinking it still comes off the voltage regulator

Last edited:

I'm actually thinking it still comes off the voltage regulator

So witch wire should I be using instead or stick with what I've got? Will I mess things up if I switch around the poles on the switch thing?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
sorry.......didn't realize it was an old post (like me..LOL)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.