1986 Sukuki 140 oil-injected; desirable motor?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Can anyone tell me if a 1986 Suzuki 140 oil-injected 4cyl 2-stroke is a good / desirable / dependable motor?

Any watchouts / known issues to look for?

Any issues with parts availability, prop selection, etc.?

Is it a "clone" motor? (i.e., same as Force or Merc or whatever of same vintage)

(Please pardon my complete ignorance here, always been a pre-80's Merc/Johnson guy...)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 Sukuki 140 oil-injected; desirable motor?

I can not help much on that motor as I never owned on, but it is an old old motor.
Getting close to 30 years old soon, so I would rethink picking one up

limitout

Banned

yep, 30 years old anything will be a nightmare for parts and IF you are lucky enough to find any parts you are limited to replica reproduction parts that are "supposed" to fit.

unless you love spending more time working on motors then using them don't get old motors

Last edited:

deejaycee_2000

Captain

There's still a lot of them out there and parts are till available as the 140 and the 115's are almost the same .... generally good motors, general issues is waterflow switches failing limiting the rpm, oil level and oil flow sensors failing and then the good old fuel pump diaphragm acting up ... but other than that they run great. Very heavy on fuel though ....

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

i had an 82 suzuki dt 75, oil injected. I loved it. it was as stong as an 88 special evinrude. sold the boat it was on wanted bigger boat. guy i sold it to still happy with it. but there are short comings with older motors as there other guys mentioned, other thing is older motors have small alternators 6-10 amps. but if price is right. it my be good for you.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had one of these in the late 80's, it ran great, plenty of power, but it seemed to smoke more than other O/Bs that I had owned and, it was really hard on fuel....a very thirsty motor. Rick

ray_m

Cadet

Bring this thread back from the dead.

I got a 84 DT140 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Its pushing a 83 Campion Alert 180 hardtop and it's not to bad on fuel after I rebuilt the carbs and added automatic trim tabs. tons of power and super reliable.