1990 suzuki dt115 outboard idle and temp sensor

crossman

Recruit
can anybody help?1: we have a suzuki dt 115 2 stroke had it out other day fishing when start engine to move it started fine put it in gear to move and it would stall before i could get revs high enough to move. if you move the lever quick enough it was ok but passengers had to hold on. I turned the idle switch up 1 click and it solved the problem but is now idling at 1000rpm is this ok?
2:Water light was coming on with the alarm as well when started pretty sure its the temp sensor have tried to take sensor out but have broken it off in the housing now having trouble removing rest of it, any ideas would be greatfully recieved
engine had service including carbs and water pump

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1990 suzuki dt115 outboard idle and temp sensor

Fuel pump diaphragm ..... not sure how you gonna get the rest of the sensor out but you will need to replace it or bypass it ...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I believe the Suzuki's used a float type of sensor to indicate if the block/head was not filling up with water

Last edited:

crossman

Recruit

thanks for the replies to my question guys. I have had my mechanic look at the problem and he repaired a gasket, it went okay but was still stalling as per thread above, it was also sneezing at idle, so i turned idle switch up one click and it seemed to have fixed the problem it is now idling at 900 - 1000 rpm. Would the sneezing at idle be related to the diaphragm as mentioned in your answer deejaycee_2000
Thanks again
crossman

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Nope the lean sneeze indicate the air/fuel needing some adjustment (screw on the carbs factory setting is 1& 1/2 turns outwards from soft stop) If you have a faulty fuel pump diaphragm normally the motor will idle fine but won't have power in gear going forward ...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Idling and shifting at 1K will probably hurt the lower unit eventually
When were the carbs serviced and by who? a Suzuki trained tech?
Were they link and synced like manual calls for after they were cleaned properly?

Realy sounds like you have a lean sneeze , idle circuits not clean.

set to specs should run properly if everything is clean.

Does not take much to get into the jets/passages after cleaning.
could be something stuck in lines or pump that hit carbs right after they were cleaned

crossman

Recruit

thanks again guys. carbs were serviced by a outboard mechanic who is an agent for suzuki he did his time at Mclay boats which are world famous here in new zealand which use to use suzuki outboards. He cleaned them out and he also put new filter, he also added a new inline fuel/water separator so every thing should stay clean. He recommended water separator as suzuki carbs dont handle much crap in there. Cant be the diaphragm as motor runs perfect as soon as you get in gear and start moving. Mechanic may not of adjusted air/fuel when he found leaking gasket and replaced it, sounds pretty simple to fix the problem. will reset air fuel and let you know how it goes, thanks deejaycee and 99yam40 very helpful indeed.

Cheers
Crossman