2011 yamaha f40 efi... need to convert from tiller to remote

lowepateno

Recruit
Hey everyone, im sure this question has been asked befre but i really can only find answers of how to convert an older carbed f40 over to remote. My engine is a 2011 efi model with digital trolling control. I was told that I would need a command link guage to run this engine without the tiller handle. I was wondering if any of the more experienced guys out there could tell me exactly what I would need.

So far I am assuming:

command link guage with tachometer.
command link harness to engine.
703 control(not sure if it comes with electtrical harness or if this is seperate)
steering cable
throttle and shift cable
steering wheel
remote bracket for removal of tiller handle.

I do not know which guage would be best as I have no power trim so all I really need is a tach and some way of adjusting the digital troll control.
As well, i do not know which command link harness I will need.

anyone who could help out it would be much appreciated!!

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2011 yamaha f40 efi... need to convert from tiller to remote

What is the complete model of your motor? F40LA or F40LEHA?

Last edited:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Do you have any idea what you are getting into? For some models, for which there is no remote control version (tiller handle version only) Yamaha offers remote control conversion kits. No kits are offered for your model because Yamaha offers a remote control version, the F40LA.

What you will need to do is to go to the Yamaha parts catalog and open up each of the illustrations for both models. You will then have to compare the two different models to determine what the differences and what the common items are. The tiller handle itself and the steering friction mechanism are the two major items to consider. Once the differences are known you will know what needs to be done to modify your motor. Ignore the bracket and power trim and tilt illustration since it will not be cost effective to convert the related components. As you know, your model uses a gas shock strut whereas the F40LA uses a power trim and tilt mechanism.

The F40LA Service Manual depicts the stuff required to install a Command Link System. As you note, with the Command Link tachometer you can manipulate the variable trolling speed function. HOWEVER - It is possible to take the existing variable speed trolling switch from your tiller handle, extend the length of the wiring as needed, and use it to remote control the VTS system. Just depends upon what you want to do.

Attached is a diagram to give you a general idea of what a remote control configuration looks like with respect to gauges, control box, etc. The control box depicted is a 704 with key switch but this will work just as well with a 703 control box.

It is suggested that you really need to go by a dealer and discuss all of this with him/her. It may be better to think about trading in your tiller handle model for a remote control version.

lowepateno

Recruit

ok i can eliminate alot from this equation...

I will not be running a tach and I have only a single 5 gallon plastic fuel tank.
I have no electric trim

i was looking at a yamaha kit part no.6Y8WE83S7000

in this kit is all that is included exept a 2 ft pigtail and 15ft buss. the only controls that I will need to run will be throttle,shift, estop and keyswitch. I am not sure which throttle box would work in my situation as the engine is efi and I do not need the choke function.

Another question is.....

do I really need the command link,

I was under the assumption that I need it. If i dont care about the trhottle control,(as I run a kicker) do I really need it or can I just run a maunal throttle box and steering then remove the tiller handle?

Last edited:

lowepateno

Recruit

just took the tiller handle apart. looks like i can splice and run the troll control,(3 wires), from the harnes at the engine.

Question are the 703 or 704 control boxes a 10 wire plug that can run an efi harness?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Look at the engine harness connector that interfaces with the corresponding connector in the tiller handle. Appears to be a ten pin type. If so, you would use a 703 box with a ten pin connector installed. Just know that the buttons on the throttle handle will not function.

The 703 control box comes in either ten pin or seven pin versions.

2013-MRP-Catalog

Look at page 10-6 for a Command Link set up with a mechanical motor.

Last edited: