Wiring problem with oil reservoir pump 2000 Yamaha 200 hp OX66

Century Bay

Recruit
Reservoir pump will not come on.....Motor and tank were both purchased used from separate sellers....I have tried the following things:
Pump will not run automatic or from the switch on the motor (key on)

I have 12V between the connector plug (at the tank) and battery negative.....but negative is not showing up at the connector. Voltage is there at all times the key is on....but no negative in the connector

Pump will run if I apply pos and neg from the battery, direct to terminals in the connector plug.

I have checked continuity in the wiring between the motor and tank, all is good.

Question: 1) is there a relay somewhere that controls the negative wire from the float and remote switch?

2) if the previous owner of this motor disconnected the oil system, and ran it premixed, where is the disconnect commonly done

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Wiring problem with oil reservoir pump 2000 Yamaha 200 hp OX66

Should have oil module that grounds the pump to run, some are part of ECU some are not, I do not know how yours is set up
Level switch in motor oil tank tells module when to turn pump on
level switch in remote tank tells module when not enough oil is in remote tank and stop auto fill of motor tank
E switch should work if remote tank has oil but the level switch tells module it is low

Some motors need to be running or not trimmed up before oil pump will run after the 1st couple of minutes of key on

who knows what has been done to it by other people

You will have to start testing things to see what works and what does not

Century Bay

Recruit

Thanks for the response.....What is an ECU? Where is the Module located? Is there a way to test these components? I am an electrical contractor but this type of trouble shooting is out of my league.....Any help you can give is very appreciated

Should have oil module that grounds the pump to run, some are part of ECU some are not, I do not know how yours is set up
Level switch in motor oil tank tells module when to turn pump on
level switch in remote tank tells module when not enough oil is in remote tank and stop auto fill of motor tank
E switch should work if remote tank has oil but the level switch tells module it is low

Some motors need to be running or not trimmed up before oil pump will run after the 1st couple of minutes of key on

who knows what has been done to it by other people

You will have to start testing things to see what works and what does not

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

With the key on you should have 12 volt positive power to the pump via the brown wire.

The ground is applied by either the CDI or the emergency transfer toggle switch.

There is no relay in the system. If the toggle switch is getting a good ground reference (black wire to the switch) and if the switch itself is good, then when the switch is pressed a ground should be applied to the pump motor via the blue wire.

Century Bay

Recruit

Wow... Thanks.....This looks like something I can comprehend and possibly deal with, I really appreciate it, I won't be able to delve into it till this weekend but this gives me a much better understanding than I had....Thanks again!

With the key on you should have 12 volt positive power to the pump via the brown wire.

The ground is applied by either the CDI or the emergency transfer toggle switch.

There is no relay in the system. If the toggle switch is getting a good ground reference (black wire to the switch) and if the switch itself is good, then when the switch is pressed a ground should be applied to the pump motor via the blue wire.