Yamaha 115 oil tank

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, I have a 1985 Yamaha 115 ETLK and I need a new sub oil tank. The original part number is 6E5-21708-05-00
I found a new tank with a different part number that looks identical except the wiring connector is a newer style using a blue plastic connector. Mine uses a white connector, the pump has bullet connectors so I guess I can use my original wiring, can I cut and splice the wires coming from the sensor (it is new and in the new tank), to my original harness? Someone been through this before? please help, thanks

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 115 oil tank

You can cut and splice or you can use a Yamaha adapter harness which is made to convert from an older harness to a newer harness.

What do you want to do?

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

any chance you have a part number? I called Yamaha and they have no clue what I am talking about? A link to a picture would be good to if possible, as a last resort, cut and splice should be fine right?. one more question,. when I remove the tank from the boat should I disconnect the oil line at the junction near the top of the tank? maybe put a vice grip on the oil supply line that comes off the tank?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

When you say that you called Yamaha do you mean Yamaha USA customer support? They are all but worthless when it comes to providing their own technical information. Most are not technically savvy. They can tell you to contact your dealer but that is about it.

When removing a hose it is better to push it off of a fitting than to try and pull it. Remember the old Chinese finger device that the harder you pulled on it the tighter it gripped? Same principle with a hose on a fitting. There should be a fitting near the tank where the hoses can be disconnected.

6R3-82541-10-00 2013-MRP-Catalog

6R3-85721-XX-00 2013-MRP-Catalog

See the following for additional advice

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info, how do you feel about just splicing my original harness to the new sensor? shouldn't be a problem down to the pump as there are bullet connectors there, but will need to solder and heat shrink to the new sensor.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

I don't have a problem with splices at all. Butt splice with a crimped connection, solder for electrical connectivity, heat shrink the connections to prevent water ingress and then secure the spliced area so that it cannot move. Should outlast the life of the new tank.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

I took a look at that adapter but it has different colored wires than the 2 black, blue and brown, is that a problem? also yamaha calls that a trim adapter/oil pump adapter. I guess it will work. I may feel more comfortable putting in the whole harness that comes with the new tank (from tank to engine). One more question since you have been so helpful, if I want to put the new oil feed line on also will I need to bleed anything? I am talking about the hose that goes from the main (on engine) tank to the sub (in boat) tank. Also is there any procedure I need to do to bleed the pump in the new (sub on boat tank) thanks for all your help, you are putting my mind at ease.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think that we are singing from the same hymnal. I don't think you are looking at the harnesses that I am looking at. See below.

My suggestion was to buy a new oil harness that runs from the new tank to the motor. Then, buy the adapter harness to connect the square connector on the new harness to the round connector on the motor. Just like is depicted in the above illustration.

Wire colours don't always stay the same when crossing a connector. Why not? You will have to ask Yamaha.

The pump does not have to be bled. Merely install the tank, hook up the harnesses and the pump will automatically pump oil when needed. Any air in the hose will be bled in the mail oil tank on the motor.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

ok, fine enough, i am going to order the adapter and use it with my new harness and run the new oil line as well (the rubber line of my old one is pretty hardened after 30 years. thanks for everything and please know you were of great help.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

make sure you have the new in line oil filter installed in the new line